Writeable files issues

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Xavier

Writeable files issues

Post by Xavier » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:30 am

Hello,

I think there is some improvement to do in the way writeable files are used. With source offsite, there was an option that said 'never replace writeable files'. I think this should also be present in fortress or that the 'replace modified files.

What I mean, is that unless I'm wrong. When you make a GLV on a folder, renegade files and writeable files are considered the same when checking 'apply to all subsequent files'.
If a developper makes a GLV on the same folder, connecting with another account will make all files 'renegade'. I can understand, but then making a GLV should only replace renegade files that are READ ONLY, not writeable ones, even if 'apply to all subsequent files' is checked, or the question should popup another time for the writeable files.
In 99% the case, read only files, can safely be replaced but writeable shouldn't (just like Visual source safe).

Xavier
Best regards

Xavier

Beth

Re: Writeable files issues

Post by Beth » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:33 pm

It sounds like you want a Get to not actually Get on files that are checked out?

That might be doable for VSS mode, but would be bad for CVS mode since all files are writable in that mode.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:11 am

Sure !
I understand this is only what is desired in SourceSafe like mode where checked in files are RO.
I think that just like SourceOffsite there should be an option 'never replace writeable files'. Or that there should be 2 warnings:
replace all files that might differ (RO)
replace all modified files (!RO). You miay have a writeable file that is not checked out (though it shouldn't occur if everything is OK)

This might of course not be OK for everybody. But VSS mode works great that way
Best regards

Xavier

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:56 pm

I understand. I wanted to mention the CVS mode part just in case you ever work that way. I'll get this logged.
Beth Kieler

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:17 am

No Problem.
We never use CVS mode because all automatic or partially manual merge are most of the time catastrophic. May be the softwares are not properly configured (Beyond compare) or we are not used to it; but most of the time we lose some code...
We certainly need to spend some time on that :)
Best regards

Xavier

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:19 pm

If you are having merging problems, you should mail me at support at sourcegear.com with a description of what is happening.
Beth Kieler