Incomplete Checkins

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rubenmch

Incomplete Checkins

Post by rubenmch » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:05 am

I found the following problem frequently while using fortress in Visual Studio 2008 (Classic Client).

When the following conditions are met:

1. I modify some files
2. I add a project and/or some new files to an existing project
3. I enter a bug ID directly

The following happens:

After a while a window appears telling me the Bug ID doesn't exists and if I enter the bug ID again it says the same message again and again so i have to press Cancel. After pressing cancel the new files/projects are checked in but the modified files aren't and i have to restart Visual Studio to be able to check them in. Also, the check in of the new files/projects are not appended to the Bug ID history. they're missing from the Bug ID.

So, I have the following question:

How can this happen? Aren't checkins supposed to be transactions?, i.e. everything fails or everything gets accepted, including the Bug Tracking? It looks like added files are in a separate transaction from the modified files and from Bug Tracking.

Thank you

lbauer

Re: Incomplete Checkins

Post by lbauer » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:30 pm

I wasn't able to reproduce this. What version of Fortress are you using? What kind of project is it?

Does the Bug ID actually exist in Fortress?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

rubenmch

Post by rubenmch » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:09 pm

I'm using fortress 1.1.2. Yes the Bug ID actually existed. After i restart Visual Studio 2008 i'm able to check in the remaining items with the same Bug ID, however the bug tracking history from the first items is lost. It doesn't happen always, it happens randomly.

It may be a random wireless network error that causes the error, however my original question was regarding to why can some items be missing from the check in if the check in is supposed to be a transaction? and why are they checked in without the corresponding Bug Tracking history?

If this is by design and modifications are independent from additions and bug tracking then please add the following feature request as I think it should be important to keep the consistency of check ins:

Feature Request: Make additions, modifications and bug tracking a single transaction so either everything or nothing gets stored.

Thank you for your response.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:23 pm

You can require that a bug is updated when source code fies are checked in. This is set in the Vault Admin web client under Repositories->(Repository name)->Require Bug ID for checkings.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager