Fortress unexpected behavior/suggestions

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Xavier

Fortress unexpected behavior/suggestions

Post by Xavier » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:39 am

Hello,

you'll find some remarks here with our wishes in bold.
removing a folder from visual studio deletes the files from the repository. When a single file is removed, VS ask if we want to remove it or delete it. It would be great to have the same for folders, or not to delete the file from repository by default as VS may not give Fortress the opportunity to ask. We all made the error and commited the action (see below). We're not used to fortress yet, but deleting a file requires some warning.

The SHIFT key from VS 2005 Fortress Pending checking, doesn't work as expected (often selects from the first item). The result is that many files that should not have been checked in have been checked in.

Once again a dialog appears, but the problems is that it shows the full path, and all the time it's truncated. I think the path of the ckeck in dialog should either be relative to the top most file/sln; or that the column should be set to the largest item name. (I had 10 files to check in, didn't count the 3 unexpected). You have to resize the column for each check in...

When you link a fortress item/bug to a checkin, the modified files appear under the item(
The files modified were: Repository Path Version
). This is great for the company, however I do not want this information to be shown to customers; even if they cannot acces the source code. Would it be possible for this information to be filtered for WEB only users ?

Last wish, I would like the "SourceCode control tab" to be removed from the tabs for WEB users. I would have liked that they do not know our source code lies here. Just like the admin tab is hidden from them and non-admin users.

Last question :) Do you have a roadmap of your product. Even if it's not a commitment it would be interesting to know.

Anyway we really like Fortress :D and really hope you will take some, if not all, features into account for the next release.
Xavier
Best regards

Xavier

Beth

Re: Fortress unexpected behavior/suggestions

Post by Beth » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:00 am

not to delete the file from repository by default
I will put in a feature request. I think there might be some confusion over remove and delete though. I think they might be essentially the same. Either way, I will log this so it gets looked into.
The SHIFT key from VS 2005 Fortress Pending checking, doesn't work as expected
Use Ctrl instead of Shift.
the path of the ckeck in dialog should either be relative to the top most file/sln; or that the column should be set to the largest item name
I'll put in a feature request.
Would it be possible for this information to be filtered for WEB only users ?
I'll get that logged so it can be looked into. I'm not sure what the feasibility is like on that.
I would like the "SourceCode control tab" to be removed from the tabs for WEB users.
I will log a feature request. Some of these sound like they would be better to be options the admin could configure, since some will want their web users to see this. I think would all fall under some sort of granular type of security for web users.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:03 am

not to delete the file from repository by default

I will put in a feature request. I think there might be some confusion over remove and delete though. I think they might be essentially the same. Either way, I will log this so it gets looked into.

I double checked that; and this is a real problem.
When you 'remove' a file from VSS, it is removed from the project only.
When you 'delete' a file from VSS, it is removed from the project AND the source database.

Vault always delete the file; most of the time this is not what we want. Same problem for a 'folder' of files, all files are deleted; if thoses files are shared (same location for several project of the same solution), then they are removed for all projects. Once again this rarely is what we want.

I really think this requires at least an option, ideally a dialog box (it already is displayed by Visual in case of file removal/deletion; but not for folders)

Moreover, if the file is modified when the remove/delete occurs, the file in the backup path doesn't seem to be the last saved (occured at least once).
Best regards

Xavier

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:06 pm

I'm having a hard time coming up with the same things. This may sound silly, but could I have you provide some step-by-step instructions for dummies on exactly how you are making the screenshot you posted come up? Also, you seem to bounce between file and folder, and how those behave will be difference, so I'm having a hard time understanding if the subject is changing or if words are just misused. I think by being much more exact that I'll be able to reproduce this so that I know what to do with it.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support