How migrate Visual Studio solution from vault 3 to fortress?

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rubenmch

How migrate Visual Studio solution from vault 3 to fortress?

Post by rubenmch » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:06 pm

I want to migrate a Visual Studio 2008 solution from Vault 3.1 to Fortress 4.1.2, i have successfully installed the fortress server choosing to keep the existing database. However i found the following problems when trying to open the solution using the new source control client (Fortress Enhanced Client instead of Vault Client):

1. Initially i tried installing the fortress client and opening the solution from visual studio with the original bindings to Vault 3.1 . Then i tried changing the source control provider using Tools->Options and selecting Fortress Enhanced Client however when i change the provider the solution is automatically closed by Visual Studio with a message that says my solution uses a different provider. If i first change the provider and then open the solution, the provider is automatically changed to the original Vault 3.1 provider.

2. Then i tried starting from scratch getting the whole solution to a new folder using the option "Open From Fortress". When i do this, it downloads the solution file (*.sln) and a window appears immediately with the options "Temporaly work uncontrolled" and "Permanently remove source control bindings associations". It appears the old bindings are stored in the solution file that is stored in the source control database so when Visual Studio reads the solution file from fortress it tries to use the old bindings stored in the solution file. How can i get a solution from fortress that was stored with the previous source control provider using the new fortress provider?

3. After that i tried getting all the files to a new folder using the Fortress Client application instead of Visual Studio, opening the solution, removing all the bindings from the solution and binding the solution to fortress using the Fortress Enhanced Client which almost worked. The solution was binded correctly and the solution file and all the project files were checked out automatically and updated with the new source control information. However when i try to check in the solution or any project files it fails with the error: "You must merge your working copy with the newest version before Check In can succeed". If i check the status of the solution file or any project file it says "Edited", it doesn't has the Merge Needed status, so why does it asks me to merge it if it doesn't needs merge?

Is there any guide on how to properly migrate Visual Studio solutions from vault 3.1 to fortress?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:49 pm

Your step #3 is closest to what you need to do.

You need to first unbind the project from source control, since it has Vault Classic Client bindings. Save all, then I'd close Visual Studio and reopen it, then rebind. I'm not sure why you're getting the merge dialog, you might check out this KB article for tips on unbinding from the Classic Client and rebinding with the Enhanced Client:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... highlight=

Let us know if this does not resolve the problem.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

rubenmch

Post by rubenmch » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:40 pm

I still can't get it to work, i tried getting the whole solution to a new folder using the Fortress Client Application and then running the automated tool from post "http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=8214" however i get the following error messages:
ERR: Error reading SCC file [C:\Documents and Settings\R\My Documents\PATHTOMYSOLUTION\MSSCCPRJ.SCC]
ERR: Message [Could not find file 'C:\Documents and Settings\R\My Documents\PATHTOMYSOLUTION\MSSCCPRJ.SCC'.]
My Solution folder only has the following files SolutionName.vssscc and SolutionName.sln , it doesn't have MSSCCPRJ.SCC .

I tried also using the manual steps from post "http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... highlight=". However in the following step:
Perform a Check In to commit these changes to Vault.

I can't Check In the project files (*.csproj) and the solution file (*.sln). I keep getting the following error:
You must merge your working copy with the newest version before Check In can succeed

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:36 am

If you do a Get with the GUI Client, there are no source control files, such as the MSSCCPRJ.SCC file. The source control files, which contain binding information, are just in the working folder after a project has been opened from source control with Visual Studio, or after binding a project to a location in the repository.

We can do a remote session to try to get this untangled.

Email me at support at sourcegear.com ATTN: Linda and we'll set something up.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

rubenmch

Post by rubenmch » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

After trying different ways to check in the solution i discovered it was 1 project that was causing the check in to fail.

After removing that project from the solution and moving the files to a new project with a different name i was able to check it in following the manual steps.

I still don't know what was causing the error but my solution is now migrated and working.

Thank you Linda.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:55 am

That's good news.

Thanks for the update.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear