Bug during installation process

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Lysaer

Bug during installation process

Post by Lysaer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:18 pm

Found a security hole/bug while upgrading the Fortress Server software today.

When the installation asks for the Admin password, if you hit cancel and let the installation close out, then restart the installation, you can reset the Admin password.

Is this by design or a bug?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:36 pm

Not sure. :)

We'll see if we can reproduce this.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Lysaer

Post by Lysaer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:37 pm

I have to say, it was a good thing in this one instance, but I'm not sure I'd like it to be a continuing feature. :)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:13 am

The Vault installer deletes most of the existing installation (except the database) during an upgrade, and adds new files.

I tried your steps, and found that when you cancel the installation, the entire installation is rolled back, so that files that were installed are deleted. So when you run the installer again, you are basically doing a fresh installation using the same database. This is why you are able to reset the admin password.

I would say this behavior is by design.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Lysaer

Post by Lysaer » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:40 am

Seems like this is a security hole. If someone gains access to the physical Fortress server but cannot access Fortress itself, they can reset the admin password in this method and gain access. Granted, the security on the server should prevent this. But if a technician is administering something on the server, such as OS patching, they would not be someone who would have or need Fortress access.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:45 pm

If we required a password to uninstall, then those who forget or lose the admin password would need another method to reset it. Having an available method for admin password resetting though can cause a bigger problem I think.

Do you have a suggestion for what you would prefer to see? Is there some other software on your server that you've seen prevents a technician who has permissions on that machine from messing with it in some way through Windows? This might be something you can prevent instead with some carefully planned Windows security.