Error 2738 installing on Vista SP1

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

RayvenUK

Error 2738 installing on Vista SP1

Post by RayvenUK » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:03 am

I have been trying to install Fortress or Vault on Vista Ultimate SP1 with SQL2005 SP 2 but keep getting an installation error as soon as I try and install.

The error is
"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2738."

I have tried Fortress and Vault, and even tried running a command prompt as administrator but get the same error.

I have even formatted the drive and reinstalled Vista but I still cannot install the products.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:27 pm

Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

RayvenUK

Post by RayvenUK » Sat May 03, 2008 12:09 am

I have now got Fortress working with your help, many thanks, but thought you may be interested to know what I discovered.

I had installed IIS7 on Vista Ultimate BEFORE putting SP1, but had not added the IIS metabase and II6 configuration compatibility component.
I tried several times to add this on AFTER installing SP1, but constantly got told that the component could not be added.
I even followed Microsoft's own directions to completely remove and reinstall IIS7 and the Windows Process Activation Service, completely removing the directories as well, but this still gave the same problems.

I had a similar problem with IIS and Windows XP; as soon as I had installed the Service Pack, IIS could not be changed.

I tested this by reinstalling Vista, IIS7, SP2, all windows updates, SQL Server 2005 SP 2 and then tried to add the component to IIS - it failed.
I then reinstalled Vista, IIS7 and added the component BEFORE installing SP2 and everything went on perfectly, including Fortress.

I just thought I'd let you know.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sat May 03, 2008 7:49 pm

Whew! Sorry you had to go through so many steps, especially reinstalling the operating system. Glad it's finally working!
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

RayvenUK

Argh! Not again!

Post by RayvenUK » Sun May 04, 2008 2:34 pm

Fired up the laptop after a reboot and back to square one.
This time some research has revealed that the issue is with Vista SP1, it has increased the security on some of the folders IIS7 has access to and this is what causes the fault.
The symptoms are:
1) If IIS7 is installed but the metabase and compatibility option is not installed; it will not install.
2) If all components are installed, IIS7 will stop after the installation of SP1, the process activation service and world wide web service will fail to start and cannot be started. Regardless of what forum posts say, if you uninstall these components, you will not be able to reinstall them afterwards.

I tried to resolve the issue using the process monitor, but couldn't figure out what was going on.

The resolution is long and painful, but this does work, but it requires a reinstall of Vista (yes, this is now my 4th time in as many days).

To be on the safe side, I reinstalled Vista and disabled the automatic updating. This was followed by the drivers for the laptop, and then all the software I needed (SQL Server 2005, SQL SP2 and Fortress amongst them).

One good piece of news is that the Windows Restore Points DO work, so I created a restore point here to be on the safe side.

Next, I reactivated the automatic updating but only to inform me when updates were available and ran the Windows Updater to get the list. I located and turned off the Vista SP download and allowed the others to come down and install.

Oddly enough, after the first batch, the SP1 option vanished.

Eventually, all updates went on with no problem.

So, there is something in SP1 that is not coming through the regular downloads that is causing the issue. It appears that the IIS team are aware of a problem as they seem to be getting quite a few posts, but until SP2 comes out, I'd avoid SP1 if you use IIS7 locally for website development, and especially if you use IIS7 to host apps.

Many thanks to the SourceGear people for the help they gave, hope this helps them in return (and if someone does come up with a proper cure without the full reinstall, pleas pleas please let me know).

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon May 05, 2008 8:02 am

Some of our developers had a problem with Vista SP1 and IIS 7, but restarting IIS resolved the problem. Not sure why you were unable to start IIS, but thanks for the details of how you resolved this.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear