Status Suggestions

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jlehew

Status Suggestions

Post by jlehew » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:06 am

Out of the box Fortress is missing a "New" status. "New" means it is "New" to the list and no one has started working it yet. This is important especially during rollouts where 100's of issues are created in a short timeframe. Most developers can only work 3-10 things at once so adjusting work loads by controling the number of "Working/Open" is critical to maximize the efficiency of each individual developer. Issues with a "New" status can also be reassigned without losing much work.

Only 3 statuses are needed if developers are held accountable for the entire process: New, Working, and Closed.

For more control and when working with larger teams it is helpful to use more statuses such as New, Working/Open, Ready for Test, In Test, Tested, Built/Complete/Closed by Manager. Essentially the status is used to represent the state of an issue as it moves between Users, Developers, Testing, and Management.

Regards,
John Lehew
VP of Software Development

cs

Post by cs » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:03 am

Me too on this one please.

When a new item is created it is hard-coded to Open status which is wrong in the majority.

We have a few status's:

Open
Awaiting Validation
Pending
Closed No Action Taken
Closed With Action Taken

We always have to set new items to Pending manually as soon as they are created.

I agree also it would be a good idea to have an admin-level feature where we can set the initial status of newly added items.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:24 am

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll log these as feature requests.

In the meantime, it is possible to add a value of "New" to the item tracking field for Status, and assign it a Type of Open.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager