Obliterate

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

BigBrett

Obliterate

Post by BigBrett » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:53 am

In one of my repositories the statistics tell me that there are 43 deleted folders (out of 872) and 1308 deleted files (out of 36176).

Try as I might, I don't seem to be able to find these files and folders in the Obliterate function.

Is there a query I can run against the repository that will at least tell me where in the tree I can find these items ?

Regards,
Brett

PS: Any improvements in the way Obliterate works would be gratefully received. The current tree interface which requires multiple scrolls to get back to the folder item you just clicked on is a major pain.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 am

Run a history query and choose to filter by Actions, selecting Delete. This will give you all the delete operations. Some of these items may have been undeleted later, but it will give you an idea of where to look.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:17 pm

Looking at the last years worth of deletions in a history query did help somewhat in that I now have 41 folders and 1240 files left to obliterate.

What I am really looking for is a SQL query against the repository that will directly list the folders in which the deleted items are located. Trying to browse through 1000 rows of historical deletions to isolate those folders I haven't already checked is also not the easiest route.

With regards to the Obliterate function, my feeling is that it should only show those folders where deleted items actually exist. Showing the entire repository tree and expecting the user to try and locate these items is just an exercise in frustration.

Regards,
Brett

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:15 am

We've had a number of requests to re-design the Obliterate interface in the Vault Admin Client -- I'll add your "vote."

We don't have a query for obliterate. We considered this at one time, but determined it was potentially hazardous to the health of a Vault database:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=5537
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:21 pm

Thanks for the "vote" addition.

With respect to the query, I am not looking for a query that will do the obliterate, all I need is a query that will list the names of the folders containing deleted items. Once I have that I can use the normal Obliterate interface to clean up. Trying to click through 800 odd folders to find just those folders with deleted items is killing me.

Regards,
Brett

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:05 am

Okay, I've done the right-click Properties procedure (as suggested in the other topic you gave a link to) on all 800 odd folders in the repository and only found two more files to obliterate. This still leaves a whole lot of deleted files and folders which don't seem to exist anywhere.

There is however a problem getting the properties on certain folders as the GUI client throws an exception with the error message "Hour, Minute, and Second parameters describe an un-representable DateTime.".

The log data for this exception is as follows:

Code: Select all

06/03/2008 3:56:16 PM <generic>: [<No Name>:3220] VaultGUIClient, Version=1.1.0.16216, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
06/03/2008 3:56:32 PM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:1292]  [System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Hour, Minute, and Second parameters describe an un-representable DateTime.
   at System.DateTime.TimeToTicks(Int32 hour, Int32 minute, Int32 second)
   at VaultLib.VaultDateTime..ctor(Int32 year, Int32 month, Int32 day, Int32 hour, Int32 minutes, Int32 seconds)
   at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.GetFolderVersionTxComment(String strPath)
   at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.GetFolderProperties(String strPath, Int64 nFolderVerID)
   at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.FolderProperties(VaultClientFolder folder)
   at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.Properties(RepositoryExplorerSelection selection)
   at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.ProcessCommand(GUIClientThreadCommand command, GUIClientThreadCommandResult& outputResult)]Hour, Minute, and Second parameters describe an un-representable DateTime.
   at System.DateTime.TimeToTicks(Int32 hour, Int32 minute, Int32 second)
   at VaultLib.VaultDateTime..ctor(Int32 year, Int32 month, Int32 day, Int32 hour, Int32 minutes, Int32 seconds)
   at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.GetFolderVersionTxComment(String strPath)
   at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.GetFolderProperties(String strPath, Int64 nFolderVerID)
   at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.FolderProperties(VaultClientFolder folder)
   at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.Properties(RepositoryExplorerSelection selection)
   at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.ProcessCommand(GUIClientThreadCommand command, GUIClientThreadCommandResult& outputResult)

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:16 am

I discovered the Fortress Advanced Obliteration Client power tool and thought that this would solve my problem.

On the initial run a number of folders and files were presented when I selected the root of the repository as the root of the search. These I obliterated.

I then checked the repository statistics and found that 36 deleted folders and 1158 deleted files still existed.

Subsequent runs of the Advanced Obliteration Client have shown no more folders or files to be obliterated, irrespective of what I choose as the root folder of the search.

I therefore have a number of orphaned deleted items which I have no way of obliterating.

Any suggestions ?

Regards,
Brett

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:10 am

Brett,

Most likely that's a counting error on reporting the number of deleted items. That's a number in the database that we increment and decrement. Probably we just didn't decrement it enough. I don't think that you have any orphaned items.

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:49 am

Okay, is there then anything I can run that will reset those numbers to the correct values ?

It's really bugging me to see those numbers when, as far as I know, I have obliterated all deleted items. All other repositories are behaving themselves, it's just one that won't tell the truth.

Regards,
Brett

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:51 am

mail support at sourcegear.com with ATTN Jeremy, and I'll send you a SQL statement to correct that value.

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:54 am

Thanks, will do.

Regards,
Brett