backup strategies

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

cisco.hdz

backup strategies

Post by cisco.hdz » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:16 pm

hi guys,

I've read the the knowledege base article on backing up but i would like to know the strategies of backing up fortress nightly. Backing up through the website produces one file... can i leverage this to create a nightly backup so i can create a simple restore point for my database? Do i need to rely on the BACKUP DATABSE T-SQL command?

I would really like a solution where i can create a nightly backup of my database(hopefully to one file) which then can be restored in SQL Server Express later...

Again i'm using SQL Server Express 2005.

cisco.hdz

Re: backup strategies

Post by cisco.hdz » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:18 pm

cisco.hdz wrote:hi guys,

I've read the the knowledege base article on backing up but i would like to know the strategies of backing up fortress nightly. Backing up through the website produces one file... can i leverage this to create a nightly backup so i can create a simple restore point for my database? Do i need to rely on the BACKUP DATABSE T-SQL command?

I would really like a solution where i can create a nightly backup of my database(hopefully to one file) which then can be restored in SQL Server Express later...

Again i'm using SQL Server Express 2005.
I think i failed to make the point that Fortress has three different databases to backup so i was hoping for suggestions on that.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:42 pm

If you want to automate something, you'll need to look at a script scheduled to run which uses BACKUP DATABASE for sgmaster, sgdragnet, and sgvault and the APPEND option to place all three backups in the same backup file.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear