user settings corrupted - 2005 client not working

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

cisco.hdz

user settings corrupted - 2005 client not working

Post by cisco.hdz » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:28 pm

I'm having some issues with solutions that use the 2005 for fortress. It looks like the 2003 client(using VS 2005) is not having any problems.

It all started when i had to hard boot my computer. When i restarted(vista) i noticed that a lot of my user profile settings were gone. Bookmarks were gone from firefox, settings within visual studio went back to the default, etc.

In any case, when it try open any solution it tells me that my projecs are under source control but an error occured registering it into source control. I've tried setting up a different working directory and doing an 'open from fortress" on that but that will only bring back the solution and the solution files. Even though the other projects are visibile(grayed out) they aren't downloaded into my working directory. I also get a "Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component"

We have one solution that is still using the 2003 client and that seems to work correctly.

I was using 1.0.2 but upgraded to 1.0.5 to see if that would fix the issue but that didn't help.

Cisco

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:40 pm

It sounds like there's more going on that just a problem with Vault, if your bookmarks are gone.

The com error might be fixed by running this command to re-register a .dll:

Regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

cisco.hdz

Post by cisco.hdz » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:54 pm

lbauer wrote:It sounds like there's more going on that just a problem with Vault, if your bookmarks are gone.

The com error might be fixed by running this command to re-register a .dll:

Regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
hi,

right, something else went wrong and it's mainly user settings. All my programs are back to normal since i backed up most of my settings.

I reinstalled the client so it should have done this, no? i ran it manually and it succeeded in registering the COM component but the same issue occurs.

now these projects do have the *.vspscc. Weren't these part of the 2003 client but not the VSIP version?

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:45 pm

The 2003-compatible client uses these files and the 2005 client does not, but there's no automatic delete that occurs. You'd need to clean them up yourself. Does that answer your question, or have I misunderstood?
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

cisco.hdz

Post by cisco.hdz » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:30 pm

ian_sg wrote:The 2003-compatible client uses these files and the 2005 client does not, but there's no automatic delete that occurs. You'd need to clean them up yourself. Does that answer your question, or have I misunderstood?
yes but i was mostly thinking out loud. I can't seem to figure out why the VSIP projects aren't working correctly.

cisco.hdz

Post by cisco.hdz » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:56 pm

I created another user on my computer and it seemed to download everything as it should... so it must be a user-specific setting. I'll probably end up reinstalling vs to see if that helps any. but atleast i know i can use a different user name for now.

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:54 am

If it's user-specific (and I'm assuming you mean Vault user, not Windows user) take a look at the working folder assignments and ensure there's nothing there that shouldn't be.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

cisco.hdz

Post by cisco.hdz » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:16 pm

ian_sg wrote:If it's user-specific (and I'm assuming you mean Vault user, not Windows user) take a look at the working folder assignments and ensure there's nothing there that shouldn't be.
well i meant windows user accounts. for some weird reason my user-specific settings, i would think under local settings, weren't being loaded correctly for several programs. This seemed to have effected the VSIP fortress plug-in. I created a different user, on the same machine, and i was able to do an open-from-fortress command without any issue. I'm going to try to do a repair vs2005, just for kicks, otherwise i'm going to look for anything that can do a rebuild on the user-settings -- or something along those lines.

this is probably OT for fortress but any pointers would be great :)