Fortress and Web applications

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

SneWs

Fortress and Web applications

Post by SneWs » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:50 am

We would really need better support for web applications, one of the most annoying problems for the moment is that fortress don't identify new files/folders and we need to manually run the client to scan for new files/folders to add. Even if we do, it dosn't always include the new files in the checkin, this is especially true for images and deep nested folders.

Version info:
Windows Vista Ultimate
VS 2005 SP1
Fortress client for vs2005 version, 1.0.4.15848

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:19 pm

Our detect new files doesn't detect folders that weren't added. If the folder is already in Vault, but has some more files that weren't added it will detect the files there. I can put in a feature request to detect folders if you wish.

On the web application support, we did make some changes in 4.0.5. The beta for that version is out now. You may wish to check the release notes to see if it has what you are looking for. If not, can you provide me with more details of what you need?

SneWs

Hm, you don't get it

Post by SneWs » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:29 am

OK, I'll try to explain it in a more detailed way.

First off, we upgraded to fortress from Vault. In Vault there was no problems when adding new files/folders, the vault client did add the new files/folders without a problem.

1. When I add a new file from Add new file in vs2005 I expect it to be included with the next checkin to the repository, it dosen't get included, that is a bug (missing feature) and since it did do this in Vault, this is a regression in our eys.

2. New folders don't get detected at all, neighter new files in the new folders.

3. The only new feature that I can see is to any use is that the bin folder won't get included since this is a hassle when trying to maintain large scaled webb/webservice applications and you have lots of references. (This is a good thing)

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:53 am

I wasn't able to replicate this problem. I added a new web application project to Fortress, and added many nested folders and files. All the new files and folders were included when I tried to check in. So I have a few more clarifications and questions:

1) It's true that new empty folders don't get automatically added to Fortress. They are automatically added as soon as you put a file in them.

2) You're using a web application project, as opposed to a web site project, correct? (Not that you should have this problem with a web site project, either, but I want to make sure I'm trying the right things.)

3) Is the project online? When you right-click on the project node, do you see an "Online" option?

4) Can you manually pend the add of the new file after you add it to the solution, by right-clicking and selecting Add To Fortress?

5) If all else fails, can you turn on logging for the 2005 client and send it to me? Ideally it would include opening the solution and trying to add new files that fail to show up when you try to check in. You can send it to ian at sourcegear dot com.

Finally, if you'd prefer to stick with what you're used to, the "2003 compatible" client in your source control options works the same as the old client and is included in Fortress.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

SneWs

Post by SneWs » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:06 am

1) It's true that new empty folders don't get automatically added to Fortress. They are automatically added as soon as you put a file in them.

Try this. Add a folder with a some files, (in my case this is some gif and png images) by making a file copy in windows explorer to the solution dir. In visual studio, hit refresh from the popup menu on the project. The folder will popup in the project but fortress will not recognize the folder or the files within. This is the same if you try the detect new files to include in the separate fortress client application, I have to manually "Add files/folders" and point out the new folder.

2) You're using a web application project, as opposed to a web site project, correct? (Not that you should have this problem with a web site project, either, but I want to make sure I'm trying the right things.)

I'm using a website project

3) Is the project online? When you right-click on the project node, do you see an "Online" option?

The option online in the popup menu is disabled (grayed out)

4) Can you manually pend the add of the new file after you add it to the solution, by right-clicking and selecting Add To Fortress?

No, I can't do that, all fortress actions in the popup menu is disabled (grayed out)

5) If all else fails, can you turn on logging for the 2005 client and send it to me? Ideally it would include opening the solution and trying to add new files that fail to show up when you try to check in. You can send it to ian at sourcegear dot com.

Yes, I can do that, I'll get back to you with the log files as soon as I can. (NOTE* I will be leaving for spain for 12 days from tomorrow, Tuesday so this will have to wait untill I get back if that's ok)

Finally, if you'd prefer to stick with what you're used to, the "2003 compatible" client in your source control options works the same as the old client and is included in Fortress.

NO, I do not prefer to go back, I want this client to work as expected actually ;)

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:11 am

Try this. Add a folder with a some files, (in my case this is some gif and png images) by making a file copy in windows explorer to the solution dir. In visual studio, hit refresh from the popup menu on the project. The folder will popup in the project but fortress will not recognize the folder or the files within. This is the same if you try the detect new files to include in the separate fortress client application, I have to manually "Add files/folders" and point out the new folder.
I'm using a website project
EDIT: I was unable to reproduce the problem with your steps using the 4.0.5 beta. Upon refreshing in Visual Studio, the new files and folders show up and their adds are automatically pended. When you get back, try the beta. If it still doesn't work, I'll need to see a log file to know what's going on.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

SneWs

Ok, tanks

Post by SneWs » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:20 am

OK, I will try the beta on another machine, I'm not that keen on installing beta software on my main development machine and get back to you when I return from my tripp.