Check In at the solution level causes loss of changes

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

kjedrusiak

Check In at the solution level causes loss of changes

Post by kjedrusiak » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:05 pm

[VS2005 + SP1 and Vault 3.5.1]

I had a solution that was checked in after about two weeks of development.

A few of the files were checked out, modified and checked back in last week.

For the last six work days I have been making a lot of changes everywhere. There were at least five items (and their sub items) checked out.

Even though everything was not working I decided check in the entire solution to make sure all the changes were in the repository.

For at least one set of files, it replaced my working copy with the version from last week that was in the repository and then marked the files as checked in.

Luckily there was a copy in the hidden _sgback folder that had all of my code. Luckily I also have real-time backup software loaded on my machine.

Is this a know bug?!?!?!?!

I know this is a complex product and the integrating with VS is complex.

But we dumped VSS for your product just because of issue like this.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:18 pm

it replaced my working copy with the version from last week that was in the repository
A check in doesn't pull any files down.

The things to check are:
1) Are the bindings valid? Check under the Change Source Control in VS to see that everything is bound. Or you can unbind and rebind.

2) Is a Get Latest ever performed? Visual Studio has the option to automatically perform a Get upon opening. Check in VS under Tools - Options - Source Control - Environment. If you can, post a screenshot.

3) Are there any other files you can check in to see what happens? If so, make a copy of your working directory. Then check the files first to make sure they are exactly as you want them, and then perform a check in. Once that is finished, close out and reopen your project again and see how those files look.

4) Does anyone else have their working folder set to what your working folder is?

kjedrusiak

Post by kjedrusiak » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:56 am

Replies are in-line

A check in doesn't pull any files down.
[ I wouldn't think it would, but that seems to be what happened. ]

The things to check are:
1) Are the bindings valid? Check under the Change Source Control in VS to see that everything is bound. Or you can unbind and rebind.
[ It's a small solution. The two items are connected and valid. ]

2) Is a Get Latest ever performed? Visual Studio has the option to automatically perform a Get upon opening. Check in VS under Tools - Options - Source Control - Environment. If you can, post a screenshot.
[ It is not and was not checked...picture to be uploaded ]

3) Are there any other files you can check in to see what happens? If so, make a copy of your working directory. Then check the files first to make sure they are exactly as you want them, and then perform a check in. Once that is finished, close out and reopen your project again and see how those files look.
[ I will try to replicate this as soon as I get a chance. ]

4) Does anyone else have their working folder set to what your working folder is?
[ I am the only person working on this solution. ]
Attachments
VS-Options.jpg
VS-Options.jpg (46.04 KiB) Viewed 12893 times

kjedrusiak

Post by kjedrusiak » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:29 am

I tried checking in from the solution again (after making a backup).

And of course I cannot duplicate the problem.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:30 pm

We've had some isolated reports of this behavior, but haven't been able to pin down why this happens. It's generally something in the steps the user is taking or something in the users configuration. We'd like to pin this down, however.

--Does it happen with web projects, or other projects -- or any project?

--Do changes tend to get lost when working folders have been changed?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

kjedrusiak

Post by kjedrusiak » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:10 am

It is a WinForm only project.

The solution itself was not checked out, only some of the sub-items were checked out.

And they were a mix of types, classes, user controls, etc.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:29 am

--Do changes tend to get lost when working folders have been changed?
Have you changed where the projects resides on disk at all?

When one opens a project for the first time in Visual Studio, one sets the disk location which also becomes the working directory. After that is done, one shouldn't need to set it into Vault, and setting Vault to someplace else can cause confusion plus Visual Studio will try to change the Vault working directory to what it has. Any chance that you had set the working directory in Vault too? If you didn't do that, then ignore the next questions.

If you did, did you set it to exactly what Visual Studio has set? If you dig a level further into your structure, do the file's working directories line up with what Visual Studio has set for their location?

kjedrusiak

Post by kjedrusiak » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:32 am

Sorry, no changes to the physical directory tree or modifications of the working directories.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Is there any chance that someone else had the solution checked out also? I know one doesn't want to try merging .sln files. The solution level should only be checked out when one is adding a project or some other major add to the solution, and not when just editing files.

kjedrusiak

Post by kjedrusiak » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:53 am

No...I am the only one working on the project.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu May 03, 2007 1:12 pm

Could you send an email through to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this post so we can dig further into your issue?

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu May 03, 2007 1:49 pm

As a follow up this issue was resolved by the user.