Problem with File History for a Shared Label

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

davenovak

Problem with File History for a Shared Label

Post by davenovak » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:19 pm

First let me say that I tried to reproduce this problem, but did not succeed. Nevertheless, the problem will become evident when you see the attached pictures.

So here's what happened. Normally when we create a new branch, we label it with a "base label" right away. The main reason we do this is so that we can detect what files have been added, deleted, or changed since the branch was created. However in this case, the label came later than normal and we had to tweak the label to make it accurate (though a combination of deleting files, using label promotion, and undeleting files). The good news is that when you do a get by label for that base label, you do indeed get the original files.

That said, we have at least two cases where files that are new to the branch show in their history the base label. These files are named pub_bank_CouponExcludeGame.sql and pub_bank_CouponGameExclusions.sql. If you pull up label promotion (see first picture), these files do not exist. If you do a get by label, these file are not pulled down from Vault. If you diff the label (see second picture), they show up as new files. Yet, if you do a file history, they both have the base label (see third picture).

Any ideas as to what is happening here? This sure seems like a bug to me.
Attachments
HistorySeemsToIndicateThatItIsPartOfLabel.JPG
Yet file history seem to indicate that it is part of the label
HistorySeemsToIndicateThatItIsPartOfLabel.JPG (101.09 KiB) Viewed 9012 times
ShowFolderDifferencesProvesItIsNew.JPG
"Show Folder Differences" dialog "proves" they are new
ShowFolderDifferencesProvesItIsNew.JPG (68.08 KiB) Viewed 9012 times
FileNotShownInLabelPromotion.JPG
Files not shown in label promotion, indicating they are not part of the label
FileNotShownInLabelPromotion.JPG (87.84 KiB) Viewed 9012 times

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:59 am

On what date was that label (7.0.0.0) first applied??

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:03 am

Just what you see here: 3/12/2007

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:09 am

To me it looks like maybe the file was removed from that label at some point, which I believe can be done in label promotion. Changes made through the label promotion tool are not shown in history, but we have a feature request logged to show that and I think that is what will make the difference here. Would you like me to add your vote?

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:07 am

Could you show a shot of a Show Labels on only the file pub_bank_CouponExcludeGame.sql?

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:25 am

Requested screen shot attached.

BTW, according to my tests, if you delete a file from a label (using label promotion), you will not see that label when doing a history of the file you just deleted from the label.
Attachments
ShowLabelsOnFileShowsTheLabelInQuestion.JPG
"Show Labels" on the file in question indeed shows the base label
ShowLabelsOnFileShowsTheLabelInQuestion.JPG (71.93 KiB) Viewed 8990 times

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:47 pm

You're right there. I went through this again on a test and when an item is deleted from a label, the application of that label is gone from the file history. Is there any chance a person could have just applied that label individually to the file itself?

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:05 pm

No way -- the labels are applied by only me and only to the root folder (and never to a file).

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:27 pm

Can you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this post? We'll need to take this off line for a bit to dig further.