Backup files being created

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

spraguetr

Backup files being created

Post by spraguetr » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:22 am

I'm using VisualBuild Professional to integrate my build process. Included in the set of operations are steps that involve check-out and check-in of compiled code. We're doing this because the final product is a Windows Installer file that includes 3 compiled components and we label the versions so as to identify release candidates.

With that said, VisualBuild uses the Vault command line to perform batch vault operations to check out the compiled components prior to a rebuild. What I'm seeing is a backup folder created at the root of each drive with a name of the working folder directory, but minus all of the backslashes.

An example would be that a component has a working path of:
E:\FWCCDoc\TRWDAuthDemoDoc\Help

The backup folder generated is:
E:\FWCCDocTRWDAuthDemoDocHelp

The batch script used to do the checkouts has these two lines in it:
SETWORKINGFOLDER $/Projects/FortWorthCentralCity-DMS/Branches/Integration/TRWD_Auth_Demo/Doc E:\FWCCDoc\TRWDAuthDemoDoc\Help
CHECKOUT $/Projects/FortWorthCentralCity-DMS/Branches/Integration/TRWD_Auth_Demo/Doc -backup no -setfiletime checkin -merge overwrite

Any thoughts as to why the backup folder is being created? It's not killing the process, but it does clutter up the build server.

Forgot to add that we're using Vault 3.5.0.4741

spraguetr

Further info on situation

Post by spraguetr » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:39 am

Maybe this is more serious than I thought. My newly built code is likely not going back to Vault when I do a check-in.

After running a build, I log into Vault using the GUI. When I look at the working folder set for the example I gave, the working folder is set to the folder I thought was a backup folder. Evidently there's some strange syntax I need to use in a command line batch file for setting a working folder? It seems to be stripping out all of the backslashes and creating a concatenated folder name.

spraguetr

Fixed it myself - I think

Post by spraguetr » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 am

I changed all of the backslashes to forward slashes in the Vault batch file. It now looks like the correct working folder is set when I log in via the GUI.

Maybe there should be some documentation added to the usage of the command line command for SETWORKINGPATH?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:27 pm

Maybe there should be some documentation added to the usage of the command line command for SETWORKINGPATH?
SETWORKINGFOLDER works fine just using Vault.exe from the command line:

Code: Select all

Vault setworkingfolder -server localhost -user Admin -password "" -repository "Default Repository" $/ProjectA/subfolder/subfolder C:\Temp\folder\anotherfolder
It may have something to do with the batch file you're running it in. Have you tried putting quotes around the path?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

spraguetr

Post by spraguetr » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:50 am

The lines in the batch file were exactly as I posted above. I called the batch file with the command:
vault batch <filename> -server -user -password -repository

The batch file did not work until I changed the local path backslashes to a forward slash. Maybe it's because I didn't want to embed the connection info in a batch file and the vault commands are being parsed a second time or different way?

I didn't try quoting the local path because there are no spaces in the directory names.