Cannot Branch by Label after Promotion

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

davenovak

Cannot Branch by Label after Promotion

Post by davenovak » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:46 am

Why is it that I cannot branch by label if there have been any changes (presumably by using label promotion)? See attached picture.

Is this a known limitation? Is it documented?
Attachments
CannotBranchByLabel.JPG
Cannot branch by label if label has "changes"
CannotBranchByLabel.JPG (76.83 KiB) Viewed 4613 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:59 am

This is a known limitation of label promotion.

It's documented in Vault Client Help->Using Vault->Working with Labels->Label Promotion:
Once a label has been promoted, it is no longer associated with a single version of the folder the label was applied to. As such, there are operations that can no longer be performed on the label. These include:

· Branch

· Pin
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:27 am

As a software engineer, I could understand why things like branching and such would be more difficult after changes were made to the label, but certainly not impossible. Obviously it's possible to still do a Get by Label after label promotion, so I wouldn't think it should be much harder (or any harder) to do something similar to support branching.

Believe me, I understand that it’s often easier to simply disable a feature than to make it work the way it should. (I’ve been guilty of the same due to time constraints.) That said, please consider this to be my strong vote to support branching and sharing by any label (changed or not).

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:24 pm

Thanks, I'll add your vote.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager