View Blame Fails over WAN

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

davenovak

View Blame Fails over WAN

Post by davenovak » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:32 pm

I noticed today that View Blame (from Vault Web File History page) is not returning any results. My browser (IE 7, running on WinXP Pro) looks as though it’s waiting for a reply that just never comes. What’s odd is that Diff from previous and Version hyperlinks work just fine from this page. It’s only View Blame that’s having problems.

I am connecting to the Vault server over Microsoft VPN (default settings). The server is Windows 2003 R2 Standard SP1 with most all of the latest patches (except SP2).

What’s interesting to me is that View Blame works just fine so long as you’re on the LAN. If I remote desktop to any machine on the same local network as Vault, all is well. It’s only over WAN that we have this problem.

Any ideas?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:20 pm

Do you see this same behavior when you try to access Vault Web via a web browser? Try connecting to:

http://<yourvaultservername>/VaultService/VaultWeb/login.aspx
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:54 pm

I guess I wasn't clear in my previous post: View Blame fails when using the web client. Up until now, I had not used the View --> Show Blame menu option from the Client GUI. But since that too simply calls the Web blame, it also does not work . . . over the WAN.

But again, all is fine when working on the LAN. (It's just the WAN case that fails.) Furthermore, from the web file history page, I have no problems the running Diff from previous or Version hyperlinks over LAN or WAN.

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:13 am

Is anyone looking into this problem? View Blame still is not working for me over WAN.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:41 am

Do other users have the same problem? Is it specific to your connection?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:39 pm

Yes -- other users are having this problem, not just me.

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:57 pm

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:06 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding. This is probably a network issue, specific to your network, as we haven't had other reports of it. Blame isn't handled any differently than other web client requests, like diff, etc. so we aren't sure why you can't see it on the WAN.

If there's a lot of data in the Blame response, perhaps something is timing out or exceeding some sort of WAN limit.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:58 pm

Could it be in any way related to this problem: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?p=30274

I can tell you this much: it's not timing out or exceeding some sort of WAN limit. If that were the case, then DIFF would not work.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:06 pm

Possibly. We haven't fully investigated Blame and IIS compression yet. I'll add your report to the bug that's logged. Still not clear why it works on the LAN but not the WAN.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear