Web History Diff Returns Bogus Error

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

davenovak

Web History Diff Returns Bogus Error

Post by davenovak » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:22 pm

A number of files that we have in vault really have no significant history. Since their first checkin, the have been labeled, branched, labeled, and branched again (numerous times), but no source changes were made in the process. Some of these files are up to Version 5 or more (meaning they’ve been branched 5 times or more), but with no changes from the original version #1.

If you do a history on one of these files through the Vault web browser and pick Diff from previous, you will get the following "error":
Unable to retrieve diff.

Error=FailObjectVersionLookup
Unfortunately, I don’t believe that this is a real error as the same operation works fine through the Client GUI, but no differences are found. I think the real problem is that there is only 1 version of the file and Vault Web Diff does not handle this case correctly. Instead of proclaiming there is an error (in big, bold red type), it should say that the files are identical.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:24 pm

Could you provide or post a sample file history so we can try to reproduce this?

I'm also wondering if there might be a problem with using the web client on your network -- similar to the Blame issue you posted elsewhere on the forum.

If you try this history diff on the server machine itself, using "localhost" for the server name, do you get the same results?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:41 pm

Yes -- same problem when running on Vault server as localhost. Also note that if there really is a different version out there, all is well.

The attached pictures show a sample history from a file that has never changed and the error that you get when clicking on Diff from previous.
Attachments
HistoryError.JPG
Error after clicking Diff From Previous
HistoryError.JPG (63.41 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
SampleHistory.JPG
Sample File History
SampleHistory.JPG (146.77 KiB) Viewed 4392 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:40 am

I was able to reproduce this. I'll log it as a bug.

Update -- it was already in the bug database. I added a link to this post. It's on the list of possible fixes for Vault 4.0.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager