Vault really slow ..can't figure out why

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

ferguslogic

Vault really slow ..can't figure out why

Post by ferguslogic » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:41 pm

Hi guys,

We are having some really bad "slowness issues" with vault.

We have a dedicated server in a fire proof datacenter about 15 minutes from our office. The datacenter has redundant fiber channels running to it and the dedicated server is a 3 gigahertz dual processor system running RAID 5. The only thing installed on the box is our corporate website (which doesn't take that many hits) vault and sql server 2005 to run vault.

Everything else runs fine. the website is fast, sql server is fast (if i connect to it from sql managemnet studio). VAult is sloooow.

Our project is not that big. It is an older visual basic 6 project with about 130 classes in total. I wrote down stats for you so you can see how slow it is. Today I attempted to check in our inventory class which is 51 KB in total size.

Here is the information from the vault check in window

4:26:28 PM preparing data to begin transaction
4:26:28PM Beginning Transaction
4:26:32 PM Check in inventoryitem.cls
4:27:29 PM Ending the transaction
4:28:21 PM Transaction completed successfully

(nearly 2 minutes)

I ran several more tests over the past 10 minutes.

Here are the results

4:41:32 PM check out inventoryitem.cls
4:41:55 PM checked out
(30 seconds)

4:45:06 PM check in inventoryitem.cls
4:45:10 PM Ending the transaction
4:45:25 PM transaction completed.
(19 seconds)

The first time, It took 1 minute to check the 51KB file in and then another minute to end the transaction.

In the office here we run the highest speed cable modem available and most often get download speeds of 200-300 KB per second and we are not running virus scanners internally at all.

I just tested the internet speed to see if that was the issue and my internet speed was averaging between 230-240KB per second for a 40 MB file on our corporate website (which is on the same box as vault).

So If I can get 240KB per second from our website which is on the same box as vault..why does it take 1 minute to check in a 51KB file with vault?

What can I do?

Sometimes vault checks files in quickly. Like 2 seconds. But often we see slow problems like this and it is a daily ongoing issue that we have to get fixed.

thanks

Matt
Matt

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:37 pm

The best place to start is to check out our articles for improving Vault performance and database maintenance.

Performance: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4206

Database: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2924

Once you go through those, let me know what you come up with. There is a chance it could be something else, but one has to check those items first to make sure that's covered.

Also, what version of Vault are you using? There have been some performance improvements made in the next one coming out in a few weeks (Vault 3.5.2).

ferguslogic

Version

Post by ferguslogic » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:18 pm

I will review the articles.

I have started reviewing one of them and it states that you can run 3 or 4 stored procedures on your database. I might try these out and see if it helps.
Matt