Rollback file after a branch??? HELP

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

davenovak

Rollback file after a branch??? HELP

Post by davenovak » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:00 pm

How can I rollback a file to a previous version after a branch? I'm used to simply pulling up history on the file, right-clicking on the desired version and selecting Rollback. Except, after branching the file, Rollback is disabled. So how can I return to an earlier version in this case?

Under SourceSafe, I would do this by checking out the file, and doing a Get on the version of the file I wanted and checking back in. (Call it pseudo rollback.) I can indeed pull an older version of this file in Vault, but then it won't let me check it it (keeps saying state is "unmodified").

Suggestions?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:50 pm

Are you trying to go to a version that existed before the branch? Currently one can't do that. It's discussed some in this forum thread: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4963.

I can add your "vote" if you wish, but otherwise you will have to do the same thing you did in VSS.

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:14 pm

Yes -- I am trying to Rollback to a version prior to the branch. Yes, please add me "vote" to enabling that type of functionality. If I can see those older versions in my history and even DIFF against, why can't I rollback to one of them?

In the meantime, however, you have not addressed my issue. I'd be happy to do it the same way I did in VSS, but it won't let me. As I stated previously, I can indeed pull an older version of this file in Vault, but then Vault won't let me check it it (keeps saying state is "unmodified").

Why does Vault insist that the file is unmodified? And how can I force Vault to commit this version (instead of just undoing the checkout)?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:20 pm

The way you can do this is to perform that Get out to a different location. Then check out the file you want to have that version. Then you will drop the file you had perform the Get on and drop it over top of the one that you checked out that is in your working folder. Then you can perform the check in. If you are using the CVS style, then you won't have to do the check out.

If it's still seeing them as unmodified, then you may wish to take a closer look first at the time stamps of the files and then at the contents.

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:53 pm

That does work. Another things that works is to do what I said previously but then open and save the file. It is then recognized as "modified" but "Needs Merge", which you can use Resolve Merge Status to correct.

Neither way is very good.

Why not simply support Rollback across branches?!? I know that there is probably something internal with branches that makes a real rollback "impossible". That said, if Vault could simply automate these manual steps (check out latest, get selected prior release, overwrite) and still call it "Rollback", that works for me. I don't care that internally its not a rollback; I just want it to act like a rollback. As a software developer, this does not sound like a big deal to implement.

This issue is VERY HIGH on my list of bug fixes.