"Show Merge" using WinMerge

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

EddieChu

"Show Merge" using WinMerge

Post by EddieChu » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:34 pm

Hello,
We have been trying to use WinMerge as the default merge tool in Vault. We changed the default merge program under Tools -> Option.

The "Show Merge" option does bring up the WinMerge. However, it seems that the files are opened as system temp files and any changes made inside in the program are not actually saved. We thought this might be due to the parameters passed to WinMerge. But since we have no ideas on what the meaning of those parameters are, there is nothing we can do about it.

Though this isn't really a Vault issue, we still would like to know if you guys have any solution to this issue?

Thank you!

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:43 am

Here is a link to our documentation on what each parameter is with our Merge Tool: Merge Tool Arguments.

You need to read the documentation though for the WinMerge command line as well for the proper format. The only part you will probably want to know from our documentation is what the various paths expand to, but you don't even have to use those if you don't want to. It will really be whatever WinMerge wants. Vault just passes parameters. For any kind of fancy ways of working with WinMerge through their command line, you'll have to contact them.

I downloaded the tool so I can give you an example here. Here is my entry in the Admin tool for WinMerge:

Code: Select all

/r /wr  "%WORKING_PATH%"  "%OTHER_PATH%" "%DEST_PATH%"
/r --- That's just so if I ever compare folders that it will do that recursively. I guess I didn't really need that.

/wr --- The left pane is going to be what's in your working folder that you want to check in. I don't want to accidentally place my changes elsewhere, so I only made the right pane read only and left the left pane open to receive my changes.

"%WORKING_PATH%" --- the file in my working folder.
"%OTHER_PATH%" --- the file that is currently in Vault that I want to merge with

"%DEST_PATH%" --- you can specify something else for the destination path, but when it's in your working folder, it's really easy to check in. When Vault works with it's own tool, it places it's own results into the working folder, but the left and right pane where the changes happen are generally somewhere else. In a way, this is a bit redundant for my example since I'm making the changes to my working folder copy anyway.

Anyway, once I'm all done, my changes are in my working folder, then I can just resolve the needs merge status and check the file in.

EddieChu

Post by EddieChu » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:38 pm

Thanks for your help!