Vault client gets "confused"

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

davenovak

Vault client gets "confused"

Post by davenovak » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:10 am

I am using the very latest version of Vault client and server (3.5.1) and now several times have seen the client somehow get out of sync with the server. Let me give you two examples:
  • 1) I try to delete a particular folder (which I had thought I previously deleted) and I get the error "folder does not exist". I hit F5 in the client (in an attempt to refresh) but client still thinks the folder is there, yet I cannot delete it because it’s already gone on the server.

2) I do a get on a folder and one particular file refuses to come down. I get the error "Get latest version failed for $/Processor 6.2.5/Web/Cashier/stringtable.xml: Invalid object version specified". Yet nobody else was having problems with getting latest on this folder / file. I even tried deleting my local folder and doing a get latest on the folder, but I kept getting the same error. Also, there was nothing in the server log to indicate any type of error.
My "solution" in both cases was to exit out of Vault, clear my Vault cache, and try again. Things worked as expected after that. Though this begs the question: how did it get that way in the first place? Is there something else I can try (short of the rather drastic clear cache) to get around this problem?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:21 am

Are you using Vault alone or integrated with an IDE such as Visual Studio?

If you're using Visual Studio, which version?

How are you going about setting the working folders? Do you only set working folders in Visual Studio, or are you setting them in the Vault GUI as well? Do you change working folders often?

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:39 am

For the most part I am using Vault stand-alone. In the examples above, those were all just Vault.

That said, I do have Visual Studio 2005 and some projects do use the integrated IDE. However, I only set working folder through the Vault UI. Typically, I set the working folder once for the root and all other projects inherit.

That said, we recently moved our Vault database to a different machine. I did a "clean get" from the new machine (meaning I wiped my working directory locally and pulled down fresh from new machine), but I did not clean my Vault cache at that time. Could that mess things up?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:30 am

There could be some confusion going on because Visual Studio will fight Vault on the working folders. With the IDE integration, Visual Studio runs the show.

At the time you first open a project with Visual Studio, there will be a dialog box that has an area for you to set the path on disk to pull it to. That will be your working folder. We don't recommend changing this value once it has been set with Visual Studio.

On your last paragraph, the move could have been involved in the cache mess-up, but I couldn't say at this point. It would be a case of where it would be a combination of your particular computer, network, and the move together. I haven't had it happen myself when moving around databases, but it doesn't mean that just the right scenario couldn't cause that.

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:46 pm

I really doubt that it's Visual Studio that's causing the problem (as the directories we've had problems with are not controlled by VS).

As to it being just my computer, network, or the move, this problem has happened to two independent developers on the team (me being just one of those). My issue was 1) in the list, the other developer had issue 2).

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:11 pm

When you mean directories not being controlled by Visual Studio, do you mean the Vault directory where the project is or are you talking a location on the hard disk?

Are the problem files, folders, or projects opened or used with the integration with Visual Studio at all?

I'm not really saying Visual Studio is a problem, just that when it comes to source control, Visual Studio issues the commands to source control and that gets written to the cache. VS will not take instruction from Vault. If things are done in the Vault GUI as well on those same projects, then one has to be cautious not to be telling it to do something different than what Visual Studio tells it to do.

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:21 pm

I'm saying that for the cases I described, these were just Vault directories and that there was no Visual Studio project in those Vault directories. These were just Vault data directories, not code managed by both Vault and Visual Studio. They are never opened by Visual Studio at all.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:59 am

Ok, thanks. This makes more sense now.

It would really be hard to say in this case exactly what caused your cache to be out of sync. It's not a common occurrence for most people I think. It could have been the server move, or just a networking glitch, or something else that we don't have the information on about your particular set-up.

If you want, next time this occurs, you can always send an email to support at sourcegear.com with some logs in a zip file and a description of the issue and the approximate time of its occurrence. Putting the server into debug mode will give more detailed logs. The logs that can help are a Vault Server Log, the Application and System Event Viewer logs, and maybe a Client Side Log.