Branch is mirroring trunk

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

OrtizConsulting

Branch is mirroring trunk

Post by OrtizConsulting » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:15 pm

I am the primary developer on an ASP.NET 2.0 project written in Visual Studio 2005. We have released the preliminary version to the customer, and this version is currently in the trunk for maintenance. I have branched off a development branch to continue work on newly requested features. I know this is technically backwards, but I may not be the only person called on to make maintenance patches whereas I am the only person doing new development.

The problem stems from having both trees checked out on my computer. In one project directory opened the maintenance version from source control, which bound the project to the trunk. In another project directory, I opened the development version from source control, which bound the project to my development branch.

I thought everything was going well until I had to make a quick edit to a source file in the trunk project. When I went to check it in, changes I'd made to the branch project were listed in my Pending Checkins list in VS. I opened the branch project and found the changes I'd just made were showing up in my source files there as well.

I saved the file I'd made changes to in the trunk project, then re-opened the trunk from source control in the same directory. I checked out my edited file, overwrote it with my changed copy, and checked it back in.

Unfortunately, when I went to my development project, none of my development changes existed anymore, and the change I'd just checked in was visible in the project.

In the Vault client, I can see that the two different trees do point to different directories in my filesystem. In the VS projects, I can go to the Change Source Control dialog and see that the projects do, in fact, point to separate directories. So why do both projects seem locked into the same directory in the repository?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:52 pm

Does this KB article about branching web projects help?

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=194
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

OrtizConsulting

Post by OrtizConsulting » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:38 am

Yes it does, thank you for pointing me in the right direction.