Problems Renagdes and VS.NET not Checking Out Files

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

mshe

Problems Renagdes and VS.NET not Checking Out Files

Post by mshe » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:47 pm

Hi all,

We're having two issues with SourceGear Vault 3.1.9 and VS.NET 2005 w/ SP1.

1. If I start to edit a file... sometimes it does not auto-check out the file. As a result, the file becomes a renegade. Any ideas why VS.NET does this?

2. I'm getting renegades when setting up a new solution. When I setup a new solution, I go through these steps:

a) Download entire solution folder using the SourceGear Client
b) Open the solution file in VS.NET 2005
c) When prompted, clear the existing source control bindings
d) Manually rebind the solution to source control
e) VS.NET will then prompt that some files have changed - I specify "Allow server to overwrite."

Even going through these steps I get renegades usually with the vbproj or vssscc file. Can any explain what I'm doing wrong and why I'm getting renegades?

What is the proper procedure for setting up a VS.NET 2005 project?

Thanks!

P.S. Will Vault 3.5 solve my problems?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:16 am

1. In Visual Studio, go to your Tools - Options - Source Control - Environment. Do you have the setting "On Edit" set to Check Out Automatically?

2. With the new solution, is it a case of where you are adding projects to a new blank solution? Or are you just opening a solution? I need more details I think.

It sounds like you want a fresh solution and are pulling projects in, so in that case, you would just open VS, create a new blank solution, add that solution to source control, and then Add Project from Source Control, and select each project that needs to be a part of that solution. If this isn't what you are looking for, just let me know.

This appears to be more of a methodology issue. There hasn't been a whole lot of change in the IDE integration. More information on changes can be found in the release notes, which are posted at the bottom of our KB article index.

mshe

Post by mshe » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:16 am

Hi,

When I meant new solution, I mean opening an existing solution in source control.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:31 am

If it's a regular project, then all you have to do is perform an Open From Source Control the first time and after that, you will be able to use the recent projects links that opens it from disk.

If it's a web project then see this link for instructions: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=5548.

If it's a multi-tiered project, still open the solution and anything that doesn't open, just remove the grayed out project, and perform an Add Project from Source Control.

We have a large section in our KB articles index on IDE integration that you may wish to check out.