Set Working folder fails inappropriately

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

ajj3085

Set Working folder fails inappropriately

Post by ajj3085 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:56 pm

Hi,

I got an error trying to set a working folder. Here's the steps to reproduce. The casing of 'tmp' and 'Tmp' matters for this to work:

1. Create a folder in Vault, $/tmp.
2. Set its working folder.
3. Delete the folder.
4. Create a new folder, $/Tmp.
5. Set $/Tmp's working folder to the same as the one from step 2.
6. Vault complains the working folder is already assigned and will not let you continue.
7. Rename $/Tmp to $/Tmp2.
7. Undelete the folder created in step 1.
7. Un-assign the working folder.
8. Delete the folder from step 1.
9. Rename $/Tmp2 back to $/Tmp.
10. Repeat step 5, and this time it works fine.
Last edited by ajj3085 on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:04 pm

What version of Vault are you using?

Did you check that the transaction is not sitting in the pending transactions area?

Are you performing these actions with just the Vault GUI or within Visual Studio?

I tried the same thing and received no error.

ajj3085

Post by ajj3085 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:06 am

Beth wrote:What version of Vault are you using?
Beth wrote:Did you check that the transaction is not sitting in the pending transactions area?
Yes, I had deleted the folder in question some time ago.
Beth wrote:Are you performing these actions with just the Vault GUI or within Visual Studio?
Vault GUI
Beth wrote:I tried the same thing and received no error.
I think I found out another condition. The folder name you create must be the same name as the one you deleted, but with different casing.

For example, if I create $/Tmp, assign the WF, delete it, then create $/tmp and attempt to use the same WF, I get the error. If I create $/Tmp again (not undeleting it) I don't get the error.

I came across this because I deleted my Maintenance branch after merging in bug fixes to the development version, then I created maintenance for the new version I'm about to release.

Andy

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:12 am

It sounds like Vault is thinking it's the same as it has listed. If it happens again, I would suggest removing the working folder association and then try to set it again.

ajj3085

Post by ajj3085 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:27 am

Beth wrote:It sounds like Vault is thinking it's the same as it has listed. If it happens again, I would suggest removing the working folder association and then try to set it again.
The only way to remove the WF association is to temporarly rename the new object, undelete the old one, remove the association, re-delete the old object, and finally rename the new object back to whatever you need to name.

I'm able to consistently reproduce the problem now. I'll edit the post for the exact steps.

I know the workaround, but to me it seems that deleting a project should delete any WF associations.

I updated my original post to steps that will reproduce the issue.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:42 pm

You're correct that it should remove the working folder association. I will log it as a bug for the developers to review and fix.

ajj3085

Post by ajj3085 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:55 pm

Great, thanks!