Issues with Vault 3.1.8

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Overcammed

Issues with Vault 3.1.8

Post by Overcammed » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:06 am

Hello,

My team is using Vault for source control, and we are running into the following issues. Note that we are using VS 2005, Vault version 3.1.8, the VS 2005 plugin, and are currently running in CVS mode.

Visual Studio Checkout Status not in line with Vault Client:
- We have seen several occasions when after checking in a file via VS 2005, the files are still listed in the Vault client as checked out in the Pending Changelist area. So they are listed as "checked in" within VS, but are not actually checked in. This has caused production builds to fail, and users to be unable to get the latest version of some files. Sometimes these files require a merge, but we never get a message when checking in to merge.
- On other occasions, I have been editing a file that is listed as checked out in the Vault client, and when I try to check it in via VS, it says "nothing to check in". So VS is letting me make changes to the file, but sees it as checked in.

We have considered upgrading to Vault 3.5.2, but do not want to do this unless it will actually fix the problem. Can you please advise on what we should do to successfully work in CVS mode with 2005?

Thanks,
Sam Schutte
Attachments
vault settings.GIF
Vault Settings
vault settings.GIF (25.25 KiB) Viewed 4171 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:25 am

Can you please advise on what we should do to successfully work in CVS mode with 2005?
Vault's integration with VS 2005 uses the MSSCCI integration, which does not support CVS mode. VS 2005 expects VSS mode.

If you want to use CVS mode, then you could do this if you didn't use integration -- use the Vault GUI Client for source control and VS 2005 for your development.

Our next release of Vault will support the VSIP integration, which has more options for VS 2005.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Overcammed

Post by Overcammed » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:37 am

Due to our team layout, we really need to use CVS mode, however, dealing with all the "special" files VS uses (such as XSS, RESX, XSC) and knowing when to check them out is a major inconvienience.

As a short-term workaround, we'll go back to exclusive checkouts, but this is a major problem for us, which hopefully will just be temporary.

When is the new version of Vault that you mentioned scheduled for release?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:06 pm

Vault 4.0 will be released later this year -- possibly summer.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager