Can I "Detect New Files" from the command line?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

OrtizConsulting

Can I "Detect New Files" from the command line?

Post by OrtizConsulting » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:57 am

Our web development manager is setting some new policies and one of them is that all of our web development will take place in a shared folder on the development server (as opposed to working copies on our development workstations). This creates a slight problem, as our access to the web projects on the server will be through Frontpage Extensions (which conflicts with the SCC interface and doesn't allow for checkins into Vault from Visual Studio). We're thinking about setting up a script that sets the working folder on the server and commits all of the files once a day, but I can't seem to find any way to automatically add new files to the repository. Is there something I'm overlooking in the vault documentation, or do I have to specify each new file and folder by hand?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:24 pm

There is no "detect new files to add" in the command line client. You would need to specify which files to add.

Code: Select all

all of our web development will take place in a shared folder on the development server 
If you want automatic updates to your development server, you could use Shadow Folders. A Shadow Folder contains a copy of the latest version of the files in the repository. The Shadow Folder service acts like a Vault client and would get not only modified files, but also would update the folder for any added or deleted files.[/code]
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

OrtizConsulting

Post by OrtizConsulting » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:31 pm

lbauer wrote: If you want automatic updates to your development server, you could use Shadow Folders. A Shadow Folder contains a copy of the latest version of the files in the repository. The Shadow Folder service acts like a Vault client and would get not only modified files, but also would update the folder for any added or deleted files.
That's almost exactly backwards for what we need; everybody will be doing development in the same folder on the server, we just need a way to track new and deleted files in that directory automatically and then post changes anywhere in the entire tree to Vault as a daily snapshot.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:40 pm

Vault has a client API (get it from our Downloads page) that would have the ability to find in folder and detect new files. This would require some customization on your part, but if you run into problems, just post on the forum.

Or you could install a Vault GUI Client on that machine and designate one user account as the official updater, using the directory as the working directory for that particular user.
everybody will be doing development in the same folder on the server
Will this be the working folder for all users/Vault clients?
Last edited by lbauer on Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

OrtizConsulting

Post by OrtizConsulting » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:52 pm

The "working folder" will be a directory on the server pointed to by an IIS website entry - all developers working on the site will be working in Visual Studio through the web site's http:// path (updates to the site code will be posted through Frontpage Extensions). The prevailing idea so far was to define the web site directory on the server as a Vault working folder and run an automated script on the server that called the Vault client and ran a commit once a day under the Admin account. (We would set our web repositories to CVS style so as to not lock any of the files.) I'm just not sure how to let the script know to be able to add new files as they're added to the website, and that's the ultimate problem. I will take a look at the API and see if we can put together a utility that does what we need. Thank you for your help.