Get latest version error

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Humphrey

Get latest version error

Post by Humphrey » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:46 am

We have recently imported code from a VSS repository into Vault (running WinXP, SQL express 2003, Vault server and client 3.5.0).

The SQL server is running on the same machine as the vault client and the coding is also preformed on this machine.

Once the VSS database was imported, the working directories were set up - the repository contains three projects with some shared files, where each working directory is unique. There are however project specific files (not shared) that do have the same file name in different projects.

The first time "Get latest version" was performed on one of the projects (I believe 'do not overwrite local files' was selected, so that the Vault database could link to the already present local files) Vault performed the action albiet with a twist.

Some of the files (8 files I believe) were immediately listed as 'needs merge'. No code had been edited. When 'viewed' the file was the correct one in the repository BUT the supposed local file version was listed as version 1 (when none of the remote versions were) when a 'diff' was performed the local file showed correctly HOWEVER the remote file diff'ed against was infact Version1 of a file of the SAME name from a different directory (and project) within the repository.

This was cured by doing "Get latest version" and overwriting the local files.

To check things were working correctly, we performed "Get latest version" on the project who's files had been diff'ed against earlier. This project had NOT been checked out/Get latest version since the VSS import. So once again we did "Get latest version" with 'do not overwrite local files' and somehow the SAME files (same 8 files I believe) as before were listed as Version1 loacally. And the Version1 of those files was diff'ed against the correct local file.

Again selecting overwriting local files during "Get latest version" brought the local version and the remote diff version up to date.

I am confident that Vault will continue to work correctly, however this episode did shake our faith somewhat.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:57 am

Vault tracks the status of files in the working directory through client-side cache files and baseline files. The cache/baseline files are created when the Vault Client does a "Get Latest

If files pre-exist in the working directory and have the same names as files in the repository folder, the status is unknown, though Vault can try to reconcile this with CRCs. Sometimes the 'needs merge' status appears when the cache files have been deleted or don't exist.

For best results, do a Get Latest to retrieve the files from Vault.

More info on the Vault Client here:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=6
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=131
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager