Can't delete a file...

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

mbainbridge

Can't delete a file...

Post by mbainbridge » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:08 am

Hi,

We've just started using Vault in anger, now that I have imported about 3GB from our Sourcesafe database. Sadly, we've come across a problem - we can't delete a particular file.

The file is shared across 25 projects, but we just want to remove it from one project. The client logs this:

Code: Select all

[05/01/2007 12:44:31] An error occurred while trying to begin a transaction.
[05/01/2007 12:44:31] Transaction failed
[05/01/2007 12:44:31] An exception was encountered during the transaction.  Exception: Server was unable to process request. ---> Error in the application.   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at VaultClientNetLib.ClientService.VaultService.BeginTx(Int32 nRepID, String strComment, VaultRequestItem[]& requests, String& strTxID)
   at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.BeginTx(Int32 nRepID, VaultRequestItem[]& requests, String& strTxID, String comment)
   at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Commit(ChangeSetItemColl givenItems, String strChangeSetComment, Boolean keepCheckedOut, Boolean removeLocalCopy, CommitType committype, VaultDateTime dateImport, Int32 nUserIDImport, Int64& nRevID, Int32[]& retBegEndTx)
and a dialogue box pops up saying "The Check In/Commit transaction failed. See the message pane for details.

Means nothing to me :)

I've tried re-starting the server (iisreset), clearing the client cache and performing the SQL maintenance procedures on the database itself. No difference :( I've attached the client and server log files if it'll help.

Both Vault and SQL are on a Dell PE2950, dual 3GHz dual-core processors, 4GB memory, 32-bit OS and SQL, RAID 10 disk array...

Thanks,
--
Marcus
Attachments
sgclient.txt
(20.99 KiB) Downloaded 500 times
sgserver.txt
(5.98 KiB) Downloaded 489 times

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:33 pm

First, is the file shared at just the file level or was a folder shared that had that file in it? If a folder is shared, anything done to one is reflected in the other. If only the individual file is shared, then you should be able to delete one of those.

Is this the only file giving you problems? If so, it could be that there was some small corruption in the previous VSS database that wasn't caught. Did you run analyze with the fix option?

The critical error you are seeing is mentioned in this post: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 8792#28792. If an IIS reset doesn't clear it up, then we may need to see your database first hand. To set up that exchange, you can email us at support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) and reference this post.

mbainbridge

Post by mbainbridge » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:55 am

Hi Beth,

Since the file has come directly from a Sourcesafe import, I assume it's just shared at file level. I can successfully remove it from another folder, and I can view the history and previous versions of the file.

I ran VSS2005's analyze -c -d -fp -s -v3 a few times, but our Sourcesafe database has corruption which can't be fixed. I also had to take a copy of the database and delete+purge everything I wasn't importing, as the vault import program kept running out of memory due to the number of links in Sourcesafe.

At the moment, this is the only file giving problems that I know of. One of our developers is manually re-linking projects which I couldn't being across the first time, so we may find more later. Hope not :)

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:56 am

Could you increase the logging on the Vault server? To place the Vault Server into Debug mode, open the Vault Admin Tool and go to the Server Options tab. The second half of the window covers logging. Set the Log Level to Debug.

Then could you send the Vault Server Log to support at sourcegear.com and reference this post? With that log I'll need either a very recent attempt at the delete, or just the portion of the log that covers the delete you attempted.

It could be a case of where the file had issues during the import, but that's hard to tell exactly. I'd like to see if Vault had any more to say about it.

mbainbridge

Post by mbainbridge » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:56 pm

One of the logs I originally posted was from the server in debug mode. It didn't seem to show much extra info :(

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:35 am

Can you describe for me how you had performed the VSS import? Was it done all at once, or in pieces? Is there any chance that one of the pieces had a share to a different piece? If so, then the share was broken.

mbainbridge

Post by mbainbridge » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:00 am

The import was from a sub-project in VSS, containing our library files. These files are shared sometimes hundreds of times, among many different projects. Most of the files would have originated in other areas of VSS and then shared into the library tree.

I've since done subsequent imports from other VSS projects, some of which were also linked to the library tree. (I realise these shares will not link to the first import, just within the imported project.)

Due to the size of the database, and the number of links we have, I had to cut down what could be imported, and the library tree was all that Vault could import without running out of memory.

I hope that this makes sense...

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:16 pm

We're going to need to dig a little further. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) and reference this post?

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:37 am

Have you tried performing the delete from a client directly on the Vault Server itself? When doing it that way, you will not want to use "localhost" in the dialog for what server to connect to (and port if it's not 80).

mbainbridge

Post by mbainbridge » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:00 am

Same result, unfortunately :(

I can check out the file and undo the checkout, but any attempt to alter it (rename, check in a changed version) results in the error.

If I change the name of the file in another location, it changes everywhere except this one location. The history shows that a change has occurred, however.

Definitely a weird one :)