Getting an associated file involved in diff

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

selfgov2000

Getting an associated file involved in diff

Post by selfgov2000 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:39 pm

I am using Vault for vfp, and to do a diff, a two file set is required. That is, Form.scx can't be viewed with form.sct. Is there a way to have Vault make both files available to the diff program.

I am trying to use the diff program I have written to do vfp diffs. I'm assuming that writes the file to be compared with the one in the working folder, and makes its path available to the diff program. To do what I want to do, I would have to have both the scx and sct file written out.

BTW, I am usng v3.1.8. Should I update to 3.5, and if so, do I need to update the server too?

Thanks,
Dave

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:40 pm

With the diff tool we use, the files must be text based. If your tool is similar, that could be a limitation.

The one you select initially needs to not have a missing status, which means you would have a copy in your working folder. You can diff that against a file that is not in the working folder but in your repository.

You can upgrade to Vault 3.1.9 for free, and to the latest only if you have Gold Support. There were a few diff improvements which can be found in the release notes: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=6423.

We don't currently support Vault within the Visual Fox Pro IDE client if that is what you are referring to, but we do have some users who use the two together. Do any others wish to comment on their experiences with this??
Last edited by Beth on Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

selfgov2000

Post by selfgov2000 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:01 pm

I am using Vault for my vfp repository, and like it very much. Some of the vfp files are text files, and for them, the default diff works fine. I use my diff program for the screens, reports, projects, etc, all of which are actually tables, hence the need for a specialized diff program. To use my program, I first need to copy the file (along with its associated file) to a "right file" location manually then run the diff program.

My objective was to make it more seamless by making my program the default diff program, but to do that would necessitate Vault recognizing the need for an associated file and also writing it out as the "right file". That's not complex, because the associated files have the same name, and different extensions.

But if that can't be done, I guess I'll just have to continue to do it manuallly...bummer.

Being in the first year of ownership of Vault automatically puts you into Gold support doesn't it?

Back to my other question...is it necessary to update the server as well as the client to go to 3.5?

And am I correct in my assumption that I have gold support...this is in the gold support forum, right?

Thanks,
Dave

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:07 pm

Yes, I just noticed you were in the gold support forum, so you should be fine.
You will want the client and server versions to match, so the clients and servers must all be upgraded at once.

You would still need new keys and can contact sgstore at sourcegear.com to retrieve those if you'd like.

If I find out more on the diff, I will post again here.

selfgov2000

Post by selfgov2000 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:18 pm

I am trying to use the command line client to pull the associated files out of the repository, and not doing well. It insists I haven't given it a repositorypath. I have tried both the GET and GETWILDCARD commands.

Can anyone give me an actual working example of a real command line GET and GETWILDCARD? I'm trying to use the -host, -user, -password, -destpath options.

Thanks,
Dave

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:51 pm

Here's some that might help. Others can feel free to chime in if they do it differently.

In the C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client directory where the vault.exe is I run:
vault.exe GET $/Beth2 –host localhost –user xxxxxx –password xxxxxx –repository “Default Repository” –destpath “C:\CmdLne”

With wildcards:
vault.exe GETWILDCARD $/Beth2 *.txt –host localhost –user xxxxxx –password xxxxxx –repository “Default Repository” –destpath “C:\CmdLne”

Where $/Beth2 is the folder in the repository I’m getting things from, Cmdlne is just a folder I made to put things in, and *.txt is my wildcard of getting all the .txt files.

selfgov2000

Post by selfgov2000 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:04 pm

Silly me... I should have known the help was wrong ;-) (Help shows the options after the command and before the repositorypath and wildcard.) ...in both the command line help and the html.

Thanks,
Dave

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:28 pm

The order shouldn't make a difference with that. That's just how I do it.

selfgov2000

Post by selfgov2000 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:33 pm

Ok, my bad. It must have been the addition of the -repository "default repository" that made it happen.

Thanks,
Dave