Major problem - cannot add any projects to vault

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

ferguslogic

Major problem - cannot add any projects to vault

Post by ferguslogic » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:42 pm

I have been running vault 3.1.6 for about 6 months.
This weekend I purchased a new development machine (one of the new dual core 2 processor machines)

I installed on this new machine Visual studio 6, visual studio.net 2005 and my vault client 3.1.6.

After doing so I found that I was able to "get latest" and work with my working folder but I quickly encountered a problem.

When I opened a VB6 project and received the prompt "Would you like to add this project to Vault?" and selected "Yes" I would receive a hard crash in VB6.

I used visual studio 2005 and followed the stack trace which showed a crash in the VaultIDE.dll file.

So I upgraded my client and server to the new version on the website now (version 3.5) and put in my new serial numbers for all of my users but the same problem occurs.

I tried it with 3 different projects so far (all of which are visual studio 6 applications).

I have tried reinstalling the visual studio 6 service pack and I have tried reinstalling the vault client but nothing seems to work.

I have attached screenshots showing the crash and the stack trace pointing to the VaultIDE.dll file.

I am unable to work with any projects right now and it has me in a pretty bad spot.

thanks
Matt Ferguson
Attachments
vaultProblem2.zip
3 pictures showing the problem. Start at picture 0 and continue through picture 2 please
(104.29 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
Matt

ferguslogic

an update...

Post by ferguslogic » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:10 pm

If I create a brand new project in visual studio 2005 i can communicate with vault just fine and I can check in/ checkout without any problems.

If I create a brand new visual basic 6 application and try to add it to vault i experience the same crash in the VaultIde.dll file.

So Visual basic 6 does not work for old or new projects alike.
Matt

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:07 pm

This is being discussed off line as well. User is applying a work around found in this forum post: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=6825

ferguslogic

workaround solves problem...

Post by ferguslogic » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:23 am

Hi Beth,

thanks for the help. Yes the workaround does solve the crashing problem when attempting to add vb6 projects to vault.

I am really happy with this solution as a workaround but I would like to have more information on why i need to create this file for vb6 and if there will be an actual true fix soon so that I don't have to worry about maintaining this file.

I had to go through about 4 different forum articles to get the fix so I wanted to post it here for everyone in one location to make life a bit easier for anyone else having this issue.

If the vaultIDE.dll file is crashing anytime you try to add a visual basic 6 project to vault then all you have to do is place the attached file in the directory where vb6.exe is located (which is typically c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vb98) and vault and vb6 will play nice.

My environment when experiencing this crash was
client pc
=================
xp pro
visual studio 6 installed (sp6)
visual studio 2005 installed
.net framework 2.0.5702 (.net 1.x not installed at all by me)

server pc
===================
windows server 2003
sql server 2005 standard edition
.net 1.1 and 2.0.5702

Also please note that turning on logging for vault using vb6.exe.config in the vault client installation directory as recommended by the article above did not work for me either. So the error is occurring before any logging can occur which hopefully may lead you guys in the correct direction.

Also please note that when I follow the stack trace is shows that the the dll that is crashing is vaultIde.dll which hopefully helps you guys out as well.
Attachments
vb6.exe.zip
zip file contains vb6.exe.config which can be copied into vb6.exe directory to stop crashing
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
Matt