Old accounts: delete or deactivate?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

jmarsch

Old accounts: delete or deactivate?

Post by jmarsch » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:44 am

When developers have left the company, I have been setting the accounts to "inactive" rather than deleting them (I want to make sure not to lose any history).

If I delete the accounts, what are the ramifications?

For example: Will vault still "remember" that George was the one who checked in file x, version 5 if George's account is gone?

Will I still be able to query history for George's changes?

If we hire someone else named George, and he has the same user id as the old George, will he "inherit" all of the George #1's history?

What are SourceGear's recommendations for handling accounts for developers that leave? Deactiveate the account, or delete the account?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:51 am

We have a feature request for deleting users, but there is no way to do that within the Admin tool yet. You will want to mark then inactive. The next George will need a unique name.

kasti

Post by kasti » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:53 am

How about renaming the old george and mark him inactive. Then you should be able to create a new one....

Cheers,
Herbert.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:26 am

That would work too. The history would change to reflect that users new name. This might make a difference with which version you use. I checked it against Vault 3.5.

jmarsch

Post by jmarsch » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:02 pm

You know, I had never noticed that there was no delete option -- We've never deleted users, going all the way back to when we were using Visual Source Safe, because we did not want to lose the history of a user.