The following repository path is already assigned...

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Balthazor

The following repository path is already assigned...

Post by Balthazor » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm

Since our upgrade to Vault version 3.5, we've been getting the error:

"The following repository path is already assigned to this working folder:"

when we try to set a working folder assignment. Seems this version of Vault won't let us assign the same working folder to more than one Vault folder.

Is there a way to turn this off?

Thanks!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:30 pm

No, there's no way to turn this off. Setting the same working folder for different folders in the repository usually has unexpected results and can lead to items being overwritten, file status not being properly reported, and general confusion, etc., which is not compatible with good version control.

In Vault 3.5, the one repository folder->one working folder concept is enforced.

Extensive discussion here:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4915
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Balthazor

Post by Balthazor » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:54 pm

Ok then, let me ask you this: is there a way I can Get Latest Version without setting a working folder association? That would work for me, too.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:58 pm

Yes. In the Get Latest dialog, "To:" box, you can type a path to a non-working folder.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Balthazor

Post by Balthazor » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:04 pm

Not unless a working folder is already set. What I mean is, if I go into Vault and try to get latest on a file for which there is no working folder association, it will make me set a working folder before it will let me get that file. Once I've set that working folder, then sure, I can get the file to whatever location I want.

Which, by the way, I'm not sure why it's necessary to set a working folder to get latest on a file, anyhow. Checking out a file? Sure, that would need a working folder. But just to get a copy of the file, I don't really see the point.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:10 pm

Check your command dialog options to see if the Get Latest Version is coming up. Otherwise, hold down "Shift" while invoking Get Latest Version.

When the dialog comes up, provide a different path.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Balthazor

Post by Balthazor » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:38 pm

I have the option set to show the Get Latest Version dialog. The problem is that the Set Working Folder dialog shows up before the Get Latest dialog if no working folder has been set.

There are several instances where we'd want to Get Latest on several different repository folders to the same local folder. This wasn't a problem to do with SourceSafe, and it wasn't a problem to do with Vault until the latest version. Now it's looking like we'll need to jump through a hoop or two in order to do what we've always had no problems doing. While it's not the end of the world, it's annoying to the users when an update makes their lives more difficult.

kasti

Post by kasti » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:51 am

please add my vote ;-)

GregM

Post by GregM » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:58 am

I can confirm this behavior, and I've complained about it before. You can Get a specific version from the history dialog without setting a working folder, but not the latest version from the main window.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:13 am

I'll log a feature request for this. Seems like a reasonable enhancement.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Balthazor

Post by Balthazor » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:20 am

GregM wrote:I can confirm this behavior, and I've complained about it before. You can Get a specific version from the history dialog without setting a working folder, but not the latest version from the main window.
That's still bringing up the Set Working Folder dialog for me.

Balthazor

Post by Balthazor » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:29 am

lbauer wrote:I'll log a feature request for this. Seems like a reasonable enhancement.
Thanks. It's not a deal-breaker for us, since we can just remove the working folder assignment from the repository folder before getting files from the next repository folder. It's just that it's a bit of a hassle to have to be constantly setting and removing working folder assignments like that.

GregM

Post by GregM » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:10 am

Balthazor wrote:
GregM wrote:I can confirm this behavior, and I've complained about it before. You can Get a specific version from the history dialog without setting a working folder, but not the latest version from the main window.
That's still bringing up the Set Working Folder dialog for me.
Oops, I thought I remembered that this was a workaround. Oh well.

Balthazor

Post by Balthazor » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:55 pm

What I think would be the ideal situation would be to offer the user the following choices when they try to get latest to a Vault folder that has a different working folder already assigned:

1) Allow the user to cancel the operation, which is the only option avaliable now.

2) Allow the user to ignore the warning and get the file to that location anyhow, while leaving the working folder associations exactly as they are.

3) Allow the user to remove the existing working folder association and switch it over to the current Vault folder.

If a dialog could come up offering these three options, and maybe have a default option configurable in the Options menu, that would be fantastic. Just thought I'd toss it out for your consideration.