Installing Vault 3.5 under different db name?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

ismangil

Installing Vault 3.5 under different db name?

Post by ismangil » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:43 am

Is it possible to install Vault 3.5.1 upgrading a 3.1.7 db with a name other than sgvault? The reason if for upgrading dry run we are restoring the backup of the production db to sgvault2 on the same db server (no, we haven't got another db server instance that we can use for this!)

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:29 am

The only time I know of where we could use a different database name was with one single new install with one database. We've never worked on making something like your case work and don't support it. The potential for introducing issues to your prodution set up is high, so I can't recommend that.

The best thing you can do before an upgrade is: You can also send us details on your set-up (or post here) to see if there's anything we see right off the bat that will be an issue.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:32 am

An addition to this that I didn't think of. You can install another instance of SQL server and then perform your second install to that I think.

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:54 am

Beth wrote:An addition to this that I didn't think of. You can install another instance of SQL server and then perform your second install to that I think.
Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, I don't even have that luxury. There are several reasons for this dry run, not just fear of corruption etc, but we have a large number of custom tools using Vault API including our cc.net build system that we need to port and test to work with 3.5.

I guess I need more resources... (don't we all)

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:58 am

Cruise Control is one you'll want to read up on. I know we have one KB article on it, and there are some posts as well: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?p=2860.
I'm also seeing there are outside sites and posts about Cruise Control and Vault if you just run a google search on SourceGear and Cruise Control.