VSS Import tool wizard has no text

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

spraguetr

VSS Import tool wizard has no text

Post by spraguetr » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:34 pm

The wizard opens and the controls seems to work, but there is no text to work with. See attached file for first screen.

Using Vault Server version 3.5 running on Windows Server 2003
and VSS import tool of the same version Running on Windows XP client.

Is the VSS Import tool suppoesed to be run on a server O/S? Not really clear in the help manual. It seems as though the tool would be a client.
Attachments
wizard_no_text.jpg
wizard_no_text.jpg (32.87 KiB) Viewed 3645 times

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:55 pm

Importing a VSS database is a big operation and you will want to make sure you have a lot of resources available which are generally found on servers, but that doesn't mean you can't run it on XP if enough resources are available. You may wish to check out this article and subsequent posts on a successful import: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=8

Is XP up-to-date with service packs? Are you using an alternative display set up?

spraguetr

Post by spraguetr » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:04 pm

It's up to date with service packs and security patches as of today. Nothing special was done with the display. However, the XP computer is a virtual computer running under VMWare GSX server. They have a special driver for video.

I performed an install of the VSS Import tool on our Vault server and the text appears. Funny thing is that this server also runs as a virtual computer under GSX (on the same GSX host) and uses the same video driver. Must be that the import tool needs to be running a server O/S?

I was trying to keep the Vault installation as clean as possible (i.e. no VSS components loaded), but it looks like that's the way forward.