Using Branched Files In Visual Studio

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

davidgottlieb

Using Branched Files In Visual Studio

Post by davidgottlieb » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:52 pm

Once I have branched a file into a different directory in vault, how do I get to it and check it out in my Visual Studio project? For instance, I have a Settings.cs web form that I need to work on some stuff for a future version but need to keep an existing set of code in place in case something breaks. So I have branched it into a folder labeled v. 1.0.0.0. Now that it's there, how do I use the branched Settings.cs in Studio?

My company is EBSCO Industries, Inc. We have Gold Support.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:07 am

Just to be clear -- did you branch the file from one project into another project?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

davidgottlieb

Post by davidgottlieb » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:08 am

No. I took my Settings.cs and branched it into another folder in vault beneath that project's folder. I have attached a screenshot so that you can see what I'm doing. Thanks
Attachments
vault.GIF
vault.GIF (51.4 KiB) Viewed 4679 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:23 pm

There a couple of ways to do this.

1 -- If you want to have the v. 1.0.0.0 folder and Settings.cs file in the list of items when you open your solution in Visual Studio:

With the Vault GUI Client, get latest on v. 1.0.0.0.

In VS 2005, right-click on the solution, and select Add->New Solution Folder.

Name the new folder v. 1.0.0.0. Then right-click on the folder and select Add->Existing item. Browse to the Settings.cs file in v. 1.0.0.0 on your hard drive and select it. You'll get a message that an item with the same name already exists under source control. Proceed anyway. In my test, I found that VS treated each file independently even though this dialog said the file would "assume the identity" of the other. The file will be automatically checked out.

Checkin the solution and the folder and file will now be under source control in that solution.

2-- If you don't need the v. 1.0.0.0 folder and Settings.cs file in the solution view, just checkout and checkin the file out with the Vault GUI Client and modify the file with Visual Studio. You can update it without integration.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager