Vault Error: "Input string was not in a correct format.

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

ppazderski

Vault Error: "Input string was not in a correct format.

Post by ppazderski » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:28 pm

We are running at the following versions:
- Vault client & server: 3.1.8.3771
- Client OS: Windows-XP 5.1.2600 SP2
- SQL Server: 8.00.194

We now have a few hundred components in Vault.
And we have a few Microsoft documents (*.doc, *.xls, *.ppt, etc.)
Sometimes when we Check out one of these docuemnts we get:

Vault Error: "Input string was not in a correct format."

This error causes all sorts of problems.
Clicking "OK" just brings up the same Vault Error pop-up again & again.
Recovery, typically requires: exiting/restarting the Vault Client,
deleting the checked-out file, and recreating it from backup.
Often the file is corrupted and has to be rewritten from scratch.

Do you have any solutions, suggestions, or ideas in general?

Thanks.[/b]

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:59 pm

Vault Error: "Input string was not in a correct format."
Where are you seeing this error? In the Vault GUI Client?

Is there anything in the Vault Server Log when you see this error in the client?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

ppazderski

RE: Vault Error: "Input string was not in a correct for

Post by ppazderski » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:57 am

Linda,

The errors appear in the Vault GUI Client. I can reproduce it more/less reliably. It seems to be triggered when the filename includes: '{'. e.g. 'test_{wip.doc'; I check it out; then I use the 'Edit' command on it; ... that's when the Error pups-up.
I seem to be able to still finish my changes and Check-in. But the appearance of the Error seems to announce problems (e.g. corruption of the file).

WORKAROUND -- When I 'Rename' the file and remove the '{' (e.g. 'test_wip.doc') the Error does NOT seem to apear anymore.

However, the Vault Server Log does not seem to have useful info for me. It has:
----8/16/2006 8:54:36 AM ppazderski--192.168.23.8(192.168.23.8)--SSL Disabled (3cf2bbbd-f5b5-41fd-8854-5cf178273771) BeginTx returned: FailOutofDateObjVerID
----8/16/2006 8:54:36 AM ppazderski--192.168.23.8(192.168.23.8)--SSL Disabled (3cf2bbbd-f5b5-41fd-8854-5cf178273771) CheckIn: $/TryIt/Temp/temp test_wip.doc returned: FailOutofDateObjVerID

Also, I found another log (Client?) - ..\Local Settings\Temp\VaultGUIClient.txt. It has:
8/16/2006 8:51:01 AM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:1732] IsModified(): Could not determine files status for C:\DEV\TryIt\Temp\temp test_wip.doc
8/16/2006 8:51:01 AM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:1732] Error: The process cannot access the file "C:\DEV\TryIt\Temp\temp test_wip.doc" because it is being used by another process.
8/16/2006 8:51:01 AM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:1732] Returning: False for file modification status

But ... is this error related?

BTW -- Are there any other potentially restricted characters for folder & filenames?

Thanks.
Regards.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:04 am

I couldn't reproduce this. I renamed a word document to "'test_{wip.doc," added it to Vault, checked it out, edited it and checked it back in. No issues. I tried a couple different versions of Vault, SQL Server, and MS Word.

Vault shouldn't have a problem with the "{" character. Here are the naming conventions:
File Names
Length of a single file or folder name= 256 chars

Filenames are case-insensitive, so for example, files called File.txt and FILE.txt cannot exist in the same folder.

Filenames can consist of any characters except: / \ : * ? “ < > |

A file or folder name cannot consist entirely of periods or spaces, nor can it end in a period.
The log files indicate there may be a problem with cache files or something locking the file.

Code: Select all

8/16/2006 8:51:01 AM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:1732] Error: The process cannot access the file "C:\DEV\TryIt\Temp\temp test_wip.doc" because it is being used by another process. 
Is the file open when you try to check it in? I noted that I couldn't checkin the file as long as it was open in Word.

Is Vault treating your .doc, .xls, etc. files as binary or mergeable?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager