Duplicate Class Properties After Merge

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

JDIMS

Duplicate Class Properties After Merge

Post by JDIMS » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:43 am

System Configuration: Vault 3.1.8, Visual Studio 2003 (VB.NET), Windows Server 2003 (servers and workstations)

Several times, after merging, we get properties duplicated in the resulting (merged) VB.NET class files. Not in asp.net code behind, just class files, which seems odd. The bigger problem for us is that everything looks fine during the merge process - the preview and all is perfect.

Only after all is said and done (e.g. team members get latest version) do we find that our work really isn't done at all. What might be going wrong?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:14 am

If I'm understanding this correctly, you accept the merge results (center pane) and the resulting file on disk is different, with duplicate entries?

After checkin and get latest, are developers then getting a file with the duplicate entries or one that has not been merged at all?

Is this reproducible? It might be helpful to get a copy of your project so that we can test it here. Or at least copies of the problem files with the baseline, the modified file and the merge result.

Email linda at sourcegear.com and we'll look into it further.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

JDIMS

Post by JDIMS » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:57 pm

lbauer wrote: Is this reproducible? It might be helpful to get a copy of your project so that we can test it here. Or at least copies of the problem files with the baseline, the modified file and the merge result.
I'll see what I can do to gather as much information as possible. We were able to just revert things to a VSS-like configuration to get the ASP.Net application changes (our biggest package of changes in 3 years) - so the problem isn't there as I type. We're now regrouping and trying to figure out what to do - and I've inherited the task to investigate how to procede with Vault. I didn't witness everything first-hand, as I wasn't the previous configuration management / publish/deploy person.

It happened several times - that much I know. The application and development are on secure (classified) government systems so they have no contact with unclassified systems - and will always stay that way. Makes all of this tough (similar when problems with component & server vendors), but we do the best we can. If we can narrow it down to some unclassified code or configuration screenshot or something, perhaps we can print - and then fax that out - probably the best that can be done.

I'll get back to you. but thought I'd tell this much in case you had any immediate suggestions on what is primarily of interest. Note: some of the files & folders & such "say too much", so only generic things will be revealed. My guess is we may need to do a sanitized, "pseudo" equivalent to how things work.