Vault 3.5 server apparent hang

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Rockliffe

Vault 3.5 server apparent hang

Post by Rockliffe » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:21 am

Hi,

We are running the latest Vault server on Windows 2000 with a local SQL 2005 database and are experiencing apparent hangs of the server that are fixed by killing aspnet_wp.exe. Once aspnet_wp has re spawned everything goes back to normal.

During a 'hang' the client will connect to the server and offer a Repository choice. After selecting a repository the client hangs.

The admin client can still connect fine and no errors / messages are logged in either the application log or the sgvault log file (we are running debug level logging).

The frequency of these hangs can be anything between once a day to once an hour.

How do we proceed in diagnosing / getting this resolved?

Regards

Ben Cwilewicz

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:42 am

It's possible the client's version of the Vault tree is many versions out of date and it's taking a long time to diff and update the tree. Does client finally show the folder tree after a period of time?

Are there any errors in the Vault log file that correspond to the hang? The log is in %windir%\temp\sgvault.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Rockliffe

Post by Rockliffe » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:51 am

lbauer wrote:It's possible the client's version of the Vault tree is many versions out of date and it's taking a long time to diff and update the tree. Does client finally show the folder tree after a period of time?
The tree will be very recent, and I have left the client for a good while (longer than it takes a fresh install to get the tree) with no result.
lbauer wrote: Are there any errors in the Vault log file that correspond to the hang? The log is in %windir%\temp\sgvault.
Not a thing, the log file simply stops logging any attempts to access it. No errors are logged.

The only errors logged anywhere on the server relate to the ASP.NET 2.0 performance counters (below) and I am currently trying to fix these. Does Vault need the perf counters?

Reagrds,

Ben

===================
Perf Counter Error:
EventId 1008, Source Perflib
The Open Procedure for service "ASP.NET_2.0.50727" in DLL "C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_perf.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. Status code returned is data DWORD 0.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:04 pm

If you delete the client-side cache file, does the client connect quickly?

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=6

If so, then it's possible adjusting your TreeManagerSize will help.

This setting is in the vault.config file in the VaultService directory.

The default is:
<TreeManagerSize>-1</TreeManagerSize>

Change the -1 to 250 and see if that makes a difference.

Detailed discussion of TreeManagerSize here:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=363

I'll do some further investigation on the perflib error.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Rockliffe

Post by Rockliffe » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:35 am

lbauer wrote:If you delete the client-side cache file, does the client connect quickly?
This has no effect, and I didn't expect it to as the only cure we found is killing aspnet_wp.exe on the server machine.
I'll do some further investigation on the perflib error.
I have been able to fix these errors, and it is still happening so it isn't related to this.

Cheers,

Ben

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:12 am

Did you adjust your TreeManagerSize?

Find this line in the vault.config file in the Vault Service directory:

Code: Select all

<TreeManagerSize>-1</TreeManagerSize> 
and change it to:

Code: Select all

<TreeManagerSize>250</TreeManagerSize> 
Then restart IIS.

If you continue to experience the hang, put the Vault Server log in debug mode (Admin Tool->Server Options->Logging), reproduce the hang and send me a copy of the sgvault.log file in %windir%\temp\sgvault. My email address is linda at SourceGear.com.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Rockliffe

Post by Rockliffe » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:43 am

lbauer wrote:Did you adjust your TreeManagerSize?
The change made no difference :(
If you continue to experience the hang, put the Vault Server log in debug mode (Admin Tool->Server Options->Logging), reproduce the hang and send me a copy of the sgvault.log file in %windir%\temp\sgvault. My email address is linda at SourceGear.com.
Emailed.

Cheers,

Ben

Rockliffe

Post by Rockliffe » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:33 am

Hi,

We are still experiancing this problem.

Do you have any more sugestions as to what we may try?

Would you like us to capture a ADPlus hang dump of the process?

Cheers

Ben