Began receiving FailDBInsert errors today

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

bill.romanowich

Began receiving FailDBInsert errors today

Post by bill.romanowich » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:21 pm

We started getting errors such as "A database error has occured (FailDBInsert)" earlier today. We rebooted the system attempting to clear up the problem but that had no effect. After checking your support forums we found the pointer to the sgvault.log file and found many entries like the following.

Code: Select all

----7/31/2006 1:49:09 PM     klein--10.132.12.43(10.132.12.43)--SSL Disabled	CheckOutFiles returned:FailDBInsert 
----7/31/2006 1:56:59 PM     klein--klein-p4.research.moore.com(10.132.12.43)--SSL Disabled	Login 
----7/31/2006 1:59:27 PM     klein--klein-p4.research.moore.com(10.132.12.43)--SSL Disabled	System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Failed to load msxmlsql.dll.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at VaultServiceSQL.VaultSqlSCC.ConvertLabelPathsToObjIDPaths(VaultSqlConn conn, Int32 nRepID, Int64 nLabelID, String strXml, VaultRequestGetFile[]& requests)    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream)
   at VaultServiceSQL.VaultSqlSCC.ConvertLabelPathsToObjIDPaths(VaultSqlConn conn, Int32 nRepID, Int64 nLabelID, String strXml, VaultRequestGetFile[]& requests)
----7/31/2006 1:59:28 PM     klein--klein-p4.research.moore.com(10.132.12.43)--SSL Disabled	System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Failed to load msxmlsql.dll.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream)
   at VaultServiceSQL.VaultSqlSCC.CheckLabelFiles(VaultSqlConn conn, Int32 nRepID, Int64 nLabelID, String strXml, VaultFSObjects& fsoFiles)    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream)
   at VaultServiceSQL.VaultSqlSCC.CheckLabelFiles(VaultSqlConn conn, Int32 nRepID, Int64 nLabelID, String strXml, VaultFSObjects& fsoFiles)
We noticed the error "Failed to load msxmlsql.dll." seemed to be at the root of most (if not all) of these problems. Before spending a lot of time trying to track down why this DLL won't load, I was hoping you might have the answer already.

We are not sure why this may have started happening but, since it might be related, our system was rebooted on Saturday afternoon for a yet-to-be-determined reason. We don't normally have users interacting with Vault on the weekends so today was probably the first usage of Vault since the Saturday reboot.

Any assistance you can give us will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Bill Romanowich
Applications Engineering
R R Donnelley

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:33 pm

We had a couple other reports of this error, but msxmlsql.dll is not a file that Vault uses. The error appears to be coming from SQL Server. The user who originally reported this error resolved the problem by reinstalling SQL Server and reinstalling Vault. Another user was using SQL Server 2000 and re-installed the latest service pack -- SP 4.

What version of SQL Server are you using?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

bill.romanowich

Post by bill.romanowich » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:49 pm

Thanks for your quick reply. I realized after making the original posting that I hadn't included any version information.

We are running Vault 3.1.8.3771 with SQL Server 2000 v8.00.2039. We have been installing SP4 against most of our SQL Server installs but I'm not sure if we have installed it here.

We also have SQL Server 2005 running on the same box in a different instance (the SQL Server 2000 installation is the default instance). Up until today, we have not noticed any problems having both versions of SQL Server on the same box and having Vault running against the one version (we have been running this way for approximately 3 months).

Unless you think it wouldn't be a good idea, it seems like installing SP4 against the SQL Server 2000 instance would be the next thing to try.

Thanks again...

Bill Romanowich
Applications Engineering
R R Donnelley

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:54 pm

That seems like a reasonable step. Note, there is a known issue with Vault and SQL Server 2000 sp 4 -- you can't delete a repository.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4891

For more info on the error Failed to load msxmlsql.dll, see this Microsoft KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918767/en-us
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

bill.romanowich

Post by bill.romanowich » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:28 pm

Thanks again for responding so quickly.

The pointer to the Microsoft KB article was very benficial; it is almost exactly the problem we were having. After installing SP4, I checked the folders mentioned in the article to see if the files were there and found that they weren't. I copied the files from the directory where I had extracted the SP4 distribution into and had our users try doing some check-ins and checkouts. Everything seems to be working fine again.

As so the problem of not being able to delete repositories: we aren't planning on deleting any anytime soon. We will probably be upgrading to Vault v3.5 shortly and may move everything over to SQL Server 2005 at that time as well.

We really appreciate your assistance on this. We wouldn't have been able to get back up and running so quickly without your help.

Bill Romanowich
Applications Engineering
R R Donnelley