Vault with single user and multiple computers

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

waynewise

Vault with single user and multiple computers

Post by waynewise » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:40 pm

We have a remote Vault I connect to via two computers. I have consistent problems with merging files. I will check out a file on my desktop make changes check it in. A few hours to days later I will refresh the project on my laptop under the same user context and it will prompt me to merge the file, even though it was never checked out or edited on the laptop. Automatic merging always fails and I have to manually merge the file and then re-edit it. Usually the merge make some silly change. What I feel it should be doing is simply overwriting the local file. No changes have been made and the repository version is newer. How can I resolve this issue. It gets very annoying on a get latest version to be prompted for 5-15 automatic merges and then needing to apply an manual change process to get rid of the message prompts.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:34 pm

What version of Vault are you using?

Are you using Visual Studio or the Vault GUI Client?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

waynewise

Post by waynewise » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:49 pm

lbauer wrote:What version of Vault are you using?

Are you using Visual Studio or the Vault GUI Client?

3.5 and the VS Plug-in

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:28 pm

It will prompt me to merge the file, even though it was never checked out or edited on the laptop.
Not sure why you're getting merge prompts from the laptop. Your files should just have an "old" status, unless perhaps the timestamps have changed?

If you look in the Vault GUI Client on the laptop prior to doing a Get with Visual Studio, what is the status of the files? Needs Merge? Old? If it's Needs Merged and you do a Diff, are there any differences?

You could change the option in Visual Studio to overwrite locally modified files, rather than using the default, which is Attempt Automatice Merge. In VS 2005, this setting is under Tools->Options->Source Control->Plug in Settings->Advanced->Files.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager