Two more feature requests

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

awdavis

Two more feature requests

Post by awdavis » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:35 pm

I would like to have the rename functionality change a bit. It would be nice to have it rename local files on the working folder at the same time as the rename happens in Vault. We have a lot of problems with leftover unrenamed files sitting in the working folder after a rename. I can't think of a reason to not do this, but perhaps it could be optional.

The pending change set causes some of our less savvy users a lot of problems. Whenever a rename or move or add fails for whatever reason, these pending changes get left behind and "clog" the other transactions on those files. I would like to have the option to automatically undo pending changes that have been tried and failed. For instance, if I try to rename a file to another file that already exists, give me the error (just like it does already) but also delete the pending change. I'll try to rename it again once I fix the problem. That's how we usually work anyway, rather than rooting around in the pending change set.

As usual, point me to the relevant place if these already exist (usually happens when I ask for things, demonstrating my ignorance.)

I am currently using version 3.1.8, and am happily planning our upgrade to 3.5 (so many repositories to rearrange.)

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:44 pm

I would like to have the rename functionality change a bit. It would be nice to have it rename local files on the working folder at the same time as the rename happens in Vault. We have a lot of problems with leftover unrenamed files sitting in the working folder after a rename. I can't think of a reason to not do this, but perhaps it could be optional.
I will add a feature request for changing the rename functionality.
The pending change set causes some of our less savvy users a lot of problems. Whenever a rename or move or add fails for whatever reason, these pending changes get left behind and "clog" the other transactions on those files. I would like to have the option to automatically undo pending changes that have been tried and failed. For instance, if I try to rename a file to another file that already exists, give me the error (just like it does already) but also delete the pending change. I'll try to rename it again once I fix the problem. That's how we usually work anyway, rather than rooting around in the pending change set.
Would auto committing the changes be an option for you? If so, go to Tools-Options-Check In and check the box next to Auto Commit after each operation. I can see the logic though in removing a failed operation and can make a feature request on that if you wish.

Thanks
Beth

awdavis

Post by awdavis » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:06 pm

On the auto-commit option, usually these are operations that had some sort of problem, so auto-committing would just result in more errors. So I would like to auto-remove any pending changes that had an error when they ran.

awdavis

Post by awdavis » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:56 pm

Oh, and we already use autocommit.