Same local folder, two different repositories

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tri

Same local folder, two different repositories

Post by Tri » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:05 pm

Hi,

If C:\MyProjects\ABC is checked in into Repository1 and Repository2.

Are there any adverse effects other than files on one repository have old status when the developer is working on the other repository?

More accurately, I just want to make sure that the common local folder doesn't result in using the same local Vault client cache and mess up the file status.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:28 am

Vault is intended for one working folder per repository. One repository will not see what is going on with the file in another repository.

Technically, you can do what you described in Vault, but the repositories won't trade information. The client cache and baseline file information will be out of sync when you use the same working folder for two different folders.

Tri

Post by Tri » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:07 pm

Technically, you can do what you described in Vault, but the repositories won't trade information. The client cache and baseline file information will be out of sync when you use the same working folder for two different folders.
What would be the consequence when the baseline file info are out of sync?

Can you clarify more on some practical examples:

Scenario 1: Today the working folder is in sync with Vault Server in both Repositories R1 and R2. The developer continues to work on R1 only.

Next week, the same developer, using the same computer, connects to R2. Should he see all the files he changed last week in R1 to have file status = Old or Renegade? What should he do to sync R2 with R1? If it is not a recommended practice, what should you suggest?

Scenario 2: The developer added a new folder in R1 last week. When connected to R2, the new folder is of course missing. Is it Ok if he adds the new folder to R2?

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:11 pm

To help with recreating this scenario, can you let me know the rationale behind using two repositories with the same working folder? I think if I know more about how and why it was being done this way that I could give you a clearer answer.

I am in the process of recreating this scenario here.

Thanks
Beth