Renegade Files

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

davecourt

Renegade Files

Post by davecourt » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:35 am

Hi

We seem to be getting a problem within our team where we are getting renegade files which when you get latest version it doesn't do it.

We have checked that the tick box for check out before check in is on and all our development is done through the integration with Visual Studio which forces the file to be checked out before it can be worked on. We also have exclusive locks set so only one person can edit a file at a time.

Could you suggest any other reason for this happening??

Thanks

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:16 am

Let me see if I understand this correctly --

When you check out a file in Visual Studio, and then look at the file list in the Vault GUI Client, the file is checked out and renegade?

If you check out a file with Visual Studio then login to the Vault GUI Client on the same machine with the same account that you used for Visual Studio, do you see renegade, checked out files?

What version of Vault are you using?

Are users sharing a working directory?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

davecourt

Post by davecourt » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:00 am

Hi Linda

To answer some of your questions, no we are not using the same working directory and we believe the problem is down to the fact that the system is not getting latest version when checking files out.

If we get latest version first, it seem to be ok but if not we are getting the renegade files.

We are running 3.1.8 of Vault.

Thanks

davecourt

Post by davecourt » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:39 am

Further to this Linda, is there any user transaction logs that we can look at to establish when a user might have got latest version and checked items out etc. I can currently only see information where the file would have been affected such as check in.

Thanks

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:26 am

If a file is modified in the working directory and not checked out, the status is Renegade. When the user checks out the file, the status becomes edited. A Renegade file is one that has been modified, but not checked out.

If a user logs into the the Vault GUI Client does he see files checked out to him that are Renegade status?

Are users using Vault 3.1.8 clients?
is there any user transaction logs that we can look at to establish when a user might have got latest version and checked items out etc.
The Vault log file in verbose mode has some of this information. Also, you could turn on client-side logging to get more information on what's happening on the client side.
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1534
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

davecourt

Post by davecourt » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:44 am

If that is the case, are there any known integration problems with Visual Studio 2003 because that is the only way we are dealing with file check in checkout.

Yes we are all using 3.1.8.

Thanks

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:18 am

I don't think there are issues specifically with Visual Studio when Get Latest doesn't get latest. It could be some sort of network problem or configuration issue.

In VS.NET, what is the setting under Tools->Options->SCC Provider->Advanced->Local Files->Modified working copy? If it's not set to Overwrite, then it's possible that Get Latest is not overwriting a locally modified file.

If it's a network issue, client and server logs would tell us if there was a problem actually getting the file(s) from the Vault server.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

davecourt

Post by davecourt » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:28 am

Thanks Linda. Could you however confirm that a file check out should also do a Get Latest.

Thanks

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:28 pm

A checkout should retrieve the latest version of the local file if the file status is OLD. If the file is locally modified, then Vault might try to merge it or not overwrite but merge later, depending on what options you have set.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

davecourt

Post by davecourt » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:47 am

Thanks for you help Linda. We are hoping that this suggestion will resolve our problem.
In VS.NET, what is the setting under Tools->Options->SCC Provider->Advanced->Local Files->Modified working copy? If it's not set to Overwrite, then it's possible that Get Latest is not overwriting a locally modified file.
Thanks again

Dave

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:28 am

Linda,
I just encountered an odd related problem.
I have a few (3) checked out and edited files (from the past day or 2). Somehow today, 2 of those files are Renegade, and yet when I try to check them out again, it tells me that I already have them checked out somewhere else.

The other location it says they are checked out to mentions my machine which is where I am attempting to check them out.

A lot of other files also seem to have become Renegade that I haven't touched (perhaps VS 2005 did behind my back), and diff shows that they are identical to what's currently in Vault.

Mike

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:34 am

What version of Vault Client are you using?

There was a bug in versions prior to 3.1.8 where checked out files appeared to be Renegade because of a problem with the way the client was determining the checkout location.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:38 am

Oops, I knew I forgot to mention something in my post.

[6/29/2006 9:53:35 AM] Version Check: This Vault client is version 3.1.8.3771
[6/29/2006 9:53:35 AM] Version Check: Your Vault server is version 3.1.6.3658

Mike

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:08 am

Could something have touched those files and changed the date stamp?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:58 am

Well the files that were (are somewhere else) checked out were obviously modified and their timestamp changed at that time by my editor.

The files that are renegade that I hadn't touched, I just checked 1 of them and it is still read-only and the timestamp on it matches the timestamp on the _sgvault subdirectory.

I'm not really all that worried about the files that I didn't have checked out.

The ones that I had checked out that changed to be renegade and therefore disappeared from my pending change set tab are what I'd like to get fixed.

Mike