Problem restoring database

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

SharonC

Problem restoring database

Post by SharonC » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:09 am

I've got a big problem with vault and having spent all say trying to resolve it I'm getting pretty desperate now! Probably my fault to start with as I wanted to unbind a project from source control and then write a copy to disk which we could use on another machine to test how it runs in .Net 2005

I then tried to rebind the project to vault and was getting messages about 'visual studio' saying that the working folder was C:

I tried to fix it (yeah, I know I should be able to tell you what I've done but everything is a bit hazy after 8 hours in front of the PC trying to sort this out.).

Decided I had totally screwed it all up and thought it was best to go back to my SQL Server backup from the weekend. I know everything was fine with this project on Friday. I restored the database. I look at the folder structure in the Vault client and it is NOT the same as it was at the point of the backup. It still looks like the messed up version from today. I deleted a folder from the project this morning. AFTER doing the restore that folder is still missing.

Any pointers on what I am doing wrong? I would have thought that restoring the SQL DB back to a point that I know it all worked fine should bring it all back to life.

Thanks,
Sharon

dan

Post by dan » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:38 am

You should delete your client cache files, which you can find the location of via Tools->Options->Local Files->Cache/Backup locations.

note that this will delete the state of all files and removing all working folders, so you'll need to re-get all the files.

SharonC

Post by SharonC » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:46 am

dan wrote:You should delete your client cache files, which you can find the location of via Tools->Options->Local Files->Cache/Backup locations.

note that this will delete the state of all files and removing all working folders, so you'll need to re-get all the files.
Still not working.

I restored my SQL database to a point where I know the folder I deleted yesterday actually existed.

I removed the client cache files (I assume by that you mean just the contents of the 'client' folder and that the 'admin' folder can be left?).

I did a 'get latest version' for the top-level folder of the project I am having problems with.

Vault client started getting the files - the status bar went up to 100% and the client continued getting the same files, over and over again. Obviously stuck in some kind of loop.

What i need is step by step instructions of how to properly restore Vault - the ony information in your admin guide is about restoring the SQL database. I have no problems with doing this - I do the backups directly in SQL via a job which runs every night. There is no information about clearing client cache files after restoring a database etc.

What do I need to do!!!

dan

Post by dan » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:45 am

Is it possible the SQL restore didn't actually work, and everything got rolled back? Or that the backup copy doesn't contain what you thought it should?

The backup/restore mechanism is all handled by SQL Server. If a database restore didn't change the database, then try it again via the SQL management console and see if it output any errors when you try to do it.

SharonC

Post by SharonC » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:53 am

dan wrote:Is it possible the SQL restore didn't actually work, and everything got rolled back? Or that the backup copy doesn't contain what you thought it should?

The backup/restore mechanism is all handled by SQL Server. If a database restore didn't change the database, then try it again via the SQL management console and see if it output any errors when you try to do it.
The SQL restore worked just fine. Having spent quite some time looking at some of the data in the tables and also running a few stored procedures directly on the server we were convinced that the data we wanted was indeed on the database. In the end (sorry - but due to the time difference, I couldn't face sitting all day not being able to do anything so we had to try something) we decided to uninstall our vault clients and the vault server. We then reinstalled the vault server, restored the database, used the 'repair' option in the install to fix the connection error we got after trying to connect to the restored database (found the fix for that on the forum). Then re-installed the vault clients. We now seem to be back to where we wanted to be. The missing folder is back and the project is bound properly.

We haven't had Vault long and, admittedly, I haven't spent hours studying the manuals. I probably did something wrong to get in this state in the first place - I would hope that it isn't usually this hard to restore from a backup. Have I missed something in the documentation about how to do this properly? I don't think I could go through the 'pain' of the last couple of days again!

Thanks,
Sharon

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:56 am

Your tree view, checkout info, etc. is kept in the client-side cache. Vault also stores baseline or state files for working folders. You should delete all these.

By default, the client-side cache files are located in %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\SourceGear\Vault_1 on the client machine. These settings are in the Vault GUI Client options in Tools->Options->Local Files->Cache/Backup locations.
Details here:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=6

Here are suggested steps to set things right:

1. Close any open clients.
2. Delete your client-side cache files including hidden state (_sgvault) folders.
3. Backup any files you need from the working directories and make sure your working directories are empty. If you store _sgvault folders in the working directories, delete them.
4. Restart IIS (use iisreset from the command line)
5. Open your client, set new working directories, and do a fresh Get.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager