Vault performance

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

lbauer

Vault performance

Post by lbauer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:25 pm

Picking up from the performance question on this thread:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?p=23705
All I need to do now is fix the performance problems.
15 seconds or more per file when checking in or checking out is simply not acceptable.

Our IT Manager has monitored the performance of SQL Server for every transaction on the Vault repository and it is incredibly slow.
The Windows 2003 Server installation of SQL Server 2000 is running on quite a fast computer with 2048MB RAM.
It is only used for Vault. If you have any suggestions on how to optimize the performance we would be most grateful.
The first place to start is with this KB article on performance:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4206

SQL Server performance can be affected if there is anti-virus software on the SQL Server machine or if the hard drive is fragmented.

Try various operations from a client on the Vault Server machine itself, using "localhost" for the server name. If operations are faster from the server machine, that points to network issues between Vault Client and Server.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

TonyAtMMI

RE: Vault performance

Post by TonyAtMMI » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:03 am

Thanks Linda.

I will have a good read of the KB article on optimization.

I think that the issue is definitely with SQL Server and not with the network as file copying between the server and my PC is very fast.

I was mistaken about the amount of RAM on the server. It only had 512MB.
This has been increased to 1GB and we have noticed a great improvement.
We will probably increase this to 2GB as I know that SQL Server 2000's memory managent is not too good.

The Server has NOD32 antivirus installed. We have just added the SQL Server data folder to the exclusion list for on-access scanning. This should increase server performance.

We will run with this configuration for a while, as I know the SQL Server's memory consumption can increase over time.
If this still does not give satisfactory performance, we may try running the Vault service and SQL Server on different machines.