How to restore backup file on other machine?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

bojan

How to restore backup file on other machine?

Post by bojan » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:27 am

Hello there,
we recently moved from demo version to full subscription and we wanted to move our existing vault database to another machine, when we ftp the *.sgvbak file to the plae where target machine keeps bak files - admin client doesn show this file on backup tab in admin tool- is there a way to browse to a file or change a path to a folder - or just make the vault on that other machine recognize the sgvbak file?

Thanks
Bojan

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:03 am

If I'm understanding correctly -- Vault is installed on the new machine, with a new database and you want to restore the database from the other machine?

The problem is that database backup information is stored in -- the other database, and the current Admin Tool doesn't have access to it.

You can use the backup function in SQL Server itself to restore the backup to the new location.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

bojan

thansk linda

Post by bojan » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:31 am

Hello Linda,
we solved that problem - did a full backup on SQL and then repaired the installation of Vault (this second part we didnt know - but after looking around realized)...

But we noticed a small bug - maybe it is another topic - but i will post it her for now. We are using visual studio 2005 - and everything is more-less fine in connecting to vault - but only from vstudio perspective.

When i open vault client to access database - it always lost working folder. Visual studio solution remembers this and im working from it fine - but i would like to have same situation when i open vault itself - now when i enter vault client i have to enter working folders for all that is checked out.

Is there any help for this?

Thanks in advance
Bojan

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:39 am

When you add a solution to source control or open from source control and set a working folder in VS 2005, the same working folder should appear in the Vault Client for that solution.

Is that not happening? Or is there a problem with working folders for other parts of the tree?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

bojan

Strange now it is working..

Post by bojan » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:22 am

[quote="lbauer"]When you add a solution to source control or open from source control and set a working folder in VS 2005, the same working folder should appear in the Vault Client for that solution.

Hello Linda - well problem was when i set working folder in VS 2005 that same folder that should appear - wasnt. But strangly enough now it is working - i will let you know if this repeats.... :)