Can't find log file

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

rwoodruf

Can't find log file

Post by rwoodruf » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:08 am

Hello,

I am trying to solve a database connection problem by viewing the log file. However, I can't seem to find the log file. The following line is in my vault.config file:

<LogFilePath>%SYSTEMROOT%\Inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\log</LogFilePath>

so, I have checked the following location and found no log file:

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\log

I have also checked C:\temp\sgvault but the sgvault folder does not exist. My log level is set as follows: <LogLevel>Debug</LogLevel>.

So, I would expect to find the log file.

Thanks for all your help.

-- Rodney
Rodney J. Woodruff
Senior Technical Architect
Ziff Davis Media, Inc

dan

Post by dan » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:29 am

Change the %systemroot% to a path you are sure exists and the vault service has access to, restart IIS, then check the new location. %systemroot% may not be defined, or the service may not have access to its value.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:29 am

What account are you using for Vault (IIS Process Model)?
Are you using a custom account, for instance? If so, does that account have read/write access to the %windir%\temp directory?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

rwoodruf

Can't find log file

Post by rwoodruf » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:52 am

I changed the path where the log file was being written out to. %SYSTEMROOT% was set to c:\windows.

Now the log file states:
----4/3/2006 10:48:15 AM --()-- Could not load connect string. There is probably an error with the encrypted password for the sgvaultuser database user. Contact technical support at http://support.sourcegear.com
----4/3/2006 10:48:15 AM --()-- Vault Failed to establish a connection to the database.

I checked the connection string and it looks fine. Please let me know what I need to provide so that I can resolve this problem.

Thanks.

-- Rodney
Rodney J. Woodruff
Ziff Davis Media, Inc

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:18 am

The sgvaultuser password is encrypted in the web.config file.

Have you made any changes to Vault or sgvaultuser? Did you change the password for sgvaultuser or edit the Vault web.config file?

You can type the password in clear text if you change PWD to PASSWORD in the web.config.

Another option is to uninstall and reinstall Vault. The install will take care of creating the database user, encrypted password, etc.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

rwoodruf

Problem somewhat resolved

Post by rwoodruf » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:33 am

Ok,

I changed the password to the cleartext version and that resolved the issue.

However, I also know what I may have done wrong. Earlier, I was trying to figure out how to run vault from the command line and subsequently ran C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\bin\CustomAction.exe.

This caused the install to start up. I hit cancel at the request for a new admin password. I think that this may have caused the database connection problem.

Does this sound reasonable? If so, can you tell me how to get the correct encrypted password back?

Also, I found it very challenging to find where the documentation for the command line utilities were located. I could not find them in the client documentation on your site at: http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/info.html.

Thanks for all your help.

-- Rodney
Rodney J. Woodruff
Ziff Davis Media, Inc

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:59 pm

If so, can you tell me how to get the correct encrypted password back?
The quickest way would be to uninstall Vault, keeping the database, then reinstall. The installer uses the Admin password for the sgvaultuser password.
Also, I found it very challenging to find where the documentation for the command line utilities were located. I could not find them in the client documentation on your site at: http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/info.html.
Good point. We'll add that information. For anyone reading this, the Vault command line client is vault.exe; it's located in the Vault GUI client directory and documentation can be accessed from the command line by typing vault help or vault helphtml from the Vault Client directory.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear