Vault diskspace usage

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

CSkardon

Vault diskspace usage

Post by CSkardon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:15 am

Hi there,

I'm having a bit of trouble with the client running on my machine.
Running the client has made a massive set of files in my local settings directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\chris\Local Settings\Application Data\SourceGear\Vault_1\Client\..-B8ED8D35E53A...\chris\_sgvault

Where does this data come from and what is it that makes it this big.. how can I shrink this, or limit it to a given size?

Thanks

Chris

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:36 pm

See my last post in this thread of a description of the _sgvault folders:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=5824

The _sgvault folder will contain the baselines of all the files you have retrieved from the repository. You can delete them, but the baselines will be recreated the next time you do a get.

If you store them in the working folders, you can manage them a little better.

You can also change the location if you store them with the other cache files and store the cache files elsewhere. The options are in the Vault GUI Client->Tools->Options->Local Files->Backup/Cache locations.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

CSkardon

Post by CSkardon » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:46 am

Am I right in thinking it's only the:

'Store Working Folder State/Baseline Files'

setting that needs to be changed, as that is the 'biggest' download?

If I have files checked out and I delete the cache this won't affect anything will it? It will purely mean Vault has to recreate the cache, but it will pick up that the file is checked out?

Thanks for the quick response

Chris

dan

Post by dan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:56 pm

Yes, the 'Store Working Folder State/Baseline Files' setting is the one that creates large numbers of files, as shadows the contents of the working folder.

It is safest to check in any files you have before moving any cache location. The checkout list will be recreated, and it should catch which files are edited, but you may need to perform a merge operation to get the file state back to "edited", which can be a pain.

CSkardon

Post by CSkardon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:41 am

Thanks for the quick response guys, the reason we had a problem is that we were using our working folders on the 'D' drive, and for some reason we have a small 'C' drive that was being eaten away in terms of memory. Solved now.

Thanks again

Chris