Can I use 3.1.7 GUI/Command Line Client agains 3.1.1 server?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

ismangil

Can I use 3.1.7 GUI/Command Line Client agains 3.1.1 server?

Post by ismangil » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:42 am

Is it OK?

dan

Post by dan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:48 am

Theoretically yes it should be compatible. However, if a particular fix that happen between versions 3.1.1 and 3.1.7 required changes on both the client and the server, that fix/feature would not work correctly, and you could get some unexpected results.

So, we do recommend that both client and server be on the same version. Note that a server upgrade from 3.1.1 and 3.1.7 is a pretty quick upgrade - there's no database conversion process to go through.

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:14 am

dan wrote:Theoretically yes it should be compatible. However, if a particular fix that happen between versions 3.1.1 and 3.1.7 required changes on both the client and the server, that fix/feature would not work correctly, and you could get some unexpected results.

So, we do recommend that both client and server be on the same version. Note that a server upgrade from 3.1.1 and 3.1.7 is a pretty quick upgrade - there's no database conversion process to go through.
Thanks for the reply. As it happens we have decided 3.1.7 is too good to pass up, so we're scheduling an upgrade. Plus the fact that no 3.1.8/9 within a couple days like certain recent releases :) is a comforting factor.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:27 am

Yea, that was a tough week :)

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:56 pm

I should have chimed in here earlier, Perry, because I know you're upgrading (at least in part) for the CruiseControl.NET improvements. Lots of the relevant fixes are server-side, so you're definitely going to want to update the server as well. You've probably already come to this conclusion, but figured I ought to say something just in case! :)
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:01 am

ian_sg wrote:I should have chimed in here earlier, Perry, because I know you're upgrading (at least in part) for the CruiseControl.NET improvements. Lots of the relevant fixes are server-side, so you're definitely going to want to update the server as well. You've probably already come to this conclusion, but figured I ought to say something just in case! :)
Thanks, Ian!

CC.NET improvement is actually the only reason we are upgrading. The reason I asked for newer client vs older server is I had the opportunity to upgrade the build server before the Vault server. But I've managed to schedule in a Vault server upgrade this week, so in the end I'll upgrade the server first and then the build server.