Rescanning working folders

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

GregM

Rescanning working folders

Post by GregM » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:38 pm

Over the last few days, it seems that Vault is spending a huge amount of time rescanning my working folders for modified files. We upgraded from 3.1.5 to 3.1.7 on Friday. Does 3.1.7 rescan more often than 3.1.5 did? It seems at times that just doing a diff of a file and switching back to Vault causes a rescan. This causes Vault to be totally unresponsive for a good chunk of time.

Since the "cheap" way wasn't effective, and the "effective" way is too expensive, can we just have a "rescan" button on the pending change set page?

dan

Post by dan » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:19 pm

There should not be any changes between 3.1.5 and 3.1.7 in relation to scanning. Did something else change on the client, such as defining more working folders, or branching a large section of code within a working folder, or maybe even simply a Get in a working folder that previously did not have any files in it?

Also, I don't think diff is supposed to invoke a rescan. You might turn on client logging and see whether a scan is really invoked then, or whether the slow down is caused by something else.

Another way to check is to see if the message "Looking for changes in working folders" is displayed above and to the right of the pending change set. If that message is not there, it probably isn't scanning.

GregM

Post by GregM » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:49 pm

Well, as we all work in the software business, we know this is probably a lie, but I haven't changed anything else. It may well have been just as slow before, and I'm just noticing it more now because of what I'm working on.

Sometimes that message is displayed, other times I just get large blank portions of the screen. I think someone mentioned recently that Vault scans all the working folders again when it becomes the active application. This does seem to fit the pattern I'm seeing. Vault will be partially visible in the background with a partially blank interface, then it will finally redraw everything. I'll switch from VS to Vault, and it has to think for a while again before it redraws the rest of the window.

I'm using BeyondCompare instead of SGDM for my diff program if that makes a difference.

GregM

Post by GregM » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:57 pm

What classes should I log to catch the refreshes?

GregM

Post by GregM » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:19 pm

Well, you're right that it wasn't because I upgraded the client from 3.1.5 to 3.1.7 because I didn't upgrade yet on this machine.

I found the knowledge base article that listed the classes, and started logging the watcher class. I started Vault, and then in a command window started a tail -f of the log file. There were no events being logged. Then, as soon as I clicked on one of the projects in the tree, it started logging the same two events about 2-3 times per second. I restarted Vault, and this time clicked on the tree's scroll bar instead of one of the projects, and the logging started again.

3/1/2006 3:13:06 PM <watcher>: [Watcher:3860] WatcherThread.ProcessItems: Had 2
notifications, 1 left after removing dups
3/1/2006 3:13:06 PM <watcher>: [Watcher:3860] Had 1 notifications, 0 changes

This seems a bit odd, and I'm not sure we can get any useful information out of the log like this.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:26 pm

Try the "refresh" and "watcher" classes.

Is it possible there are a lot of Unknown files on your client? Unknown files will slow down scanning until you do a re-Get on them. Use the Search pane to see if there are any.

GregM

Post by GregM » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:40 pm

Okay, I'll try those after my current build is finished. Building with VS generates rescans because of all the object files (even though those are all under a folder which doesn't exist in vault, that's a different topic that we've covered before).

I don't think I have any unknown files, I'll search now. Nope, no unknown files.

BTW, I don't require checkouts, if that makes any difference.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:12 pm

BTW, I don't require checkouts, if that makes any difference.
Actually, that is a good way to determine whether it is scanning or not. Change the option to require checkouts, and it will never scan. Then see if the performance changes.

GregM

Post by GregM » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:27 pm

Okay, I'll give that a try. Thanks.